Gearbox rebuild

I've just rebuilt a 2000e gearbox for my Escort. I have noticed that the box is now quite a bit stiffer to turn by hand than it was before the rebuild. I reckon it's the needle bearing in both ends of the layshaft that are stiff because I replaced them and packed them in fresh grease. Will they loosen up or will the bearings overheat and destroy themselves?

This is my first attempt at a gearbox overhaul so I'm not familiar with this sort of issue.

Ben.

Reply to
beng77

What was the endfloat like after you replaced the bearings?

Reply to
DuncanWood

Do you mean the amount of play between the layshaft and the bearings? If so virtually none.

Ben.

Reply to
beng77

no, what is the endfloat?

if the gearbox still turns by just gripping the shaft then it is probably ok

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I just realised what the end float measurement is, and no I didn't measure it. There was a little bit of room for the needle bearings to move laterally, so I'm sure there not getting pinched.

I just don't want to put the gearbox back into the car only to have to remove it again with a much bigger problem than it had before the rebuild. Which was a synchro issue.

Ben.

Reply to
beng77

Reply to
DuncanWood

They're not pre-loaded by any chance? I don't know the 'box.

Good on you. Most are scared to work on a box. Next step is an auto. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just the blocker rings, the caged needle bearing on the end of the mainshaft and the needle bearings on the layshaft. The synchro hubs where a little worn, but they weren't worth replacing. The input shaft bearing and the mainshaft bearing were okay as well.

When I took the gearbox apart I found the selector rails interlock pins loose in the bottom of the gearbox. Which I think was the real reason for the problems with the gearchange, but while I was in there it was worth doing some general maintenance.

As a precaution I'm going to take it apart and check the layshaft again. It's a pain to have to take it apart again, but I'd prefer to get it right now and not have to worry about it every time I go for a drive. Fingers crossed I've just done something silly and It'll be okay in the end.

Ben.

Reply to
beng77

No there not preloaded, I had to assemble all 20 needles in each end with a shim (washer) on each side of them.

Ben.

themselves?

Reply to
beng77

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Would you dare take an auto to bits though?

I've got one from my Carlton that I fancy having a go at, but its full of smelly fluid and wires and stuff. And its in my parents garage. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes - I've fixed several. BW 35, Model 8, GM 180, GM ancient Hydramatic, Ford C3.

But I had workshop manuals for them, and they were all basic 3-speed types.

I'd love to take apart a modern electronic control 5 speeder just for the hell of it, but where to get a workshop manual?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

In principle they should be simpler - they won't have most of the fancy pressure measuring stuff and all that - just a few solenoid operated valves slaving the hydraulics to brake bands etc.

Reply to
Guy King

Could start with a carefully selected Honda one that you can download the manual for.

't be put off that's workshop manual not manual trans, they coverboth.

Don't know if any other makers have taken this step in A1 support for owners of older models. Absolutely full marks to Honda, I hope they build this set of manuals to cover the whole range. Internet publishing of manuals should be a legal requirement on introduction of a new model to prevent uncompetitive restriction of trade to franchised dealers. They have to produce a manual for the trade, they never cover the printing costs let alone the cost of creating it.

Been able to get pirate copies of workshop manuals for a number of cars off overnet, kazza other p2p networks for some time now. It's where the people selling CD's on Ebay get them from (or maybe some bin newsgroup?). Tend to have out of order pages, upside down and some are just missing.

Peter Hill

To be honest I reckon they're easier than manual gearboxes. Much less selective assembly involved.

Reply to
DuncanWood

I'd agree with that - and it's usually more obvious what is worn or broken. And there are usually kits of all the normal bits needed available. With a manual, you often need to replace everything to be sure of a good as new box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, I reckon a BW 3speed's under 4 hours to strip & change the obvious bits & I've never seen one that needed anything other than seals & brake bands.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Just thought I'd let you guys know I've found the problem. I'd caught the edge of one of the thrust washers when driving the layshaft home. The slight kink I'd put in it was making the gearbox stiff to turn. I think it would have sorted itself out after a bit of driving, but it's better to know it's right than hope it is.

Ben.

Reply to
beng77

My various P6 autos managed to break the planet carrier on one, and the front clutch diaphragm spring on another. Don't think I've ever had an auto just wear out. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

After just a quick glance, they don't appear to do full overhaul instructions - like my BL one does for the SD1.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)