Getting a car towed to garage

Whats the best way to do this ?

I want to stick a tow rope on it and do it that way but the Mrs refuses to do this. (Hmmm!)

Options are:-

  1. Hire a car tow thing (front wheels on it).
  2. Get someone else to tow it.

Any ideas of the costs of these options?

Paul.

Reply to
paulfoel

Get someone with a pair of balls to help you.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "paulfoel" contains these words:

Tow pole.

Reply to
Guy King

Call someone from your local area and ask them for a price. Find a small trader in the Thompson or whatever. If the garage isn't too far away, you should be able to get it done for 50 quid or thereabouts. Or call the garage it's going to, they probably have someone they use, ask how much recovery will add to the bill.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Take out the basic RAC / AA cover and get them to do it for you.

Reply to
vag-com

One on a towing-bracket and the other to be bolted to his front bumper, you mean?

Reply to
DB.

Has he told us how far his car has to be moved? This must surely influence the decision as to method used and the likely cost.

Reply to
DB.

Perhaps the OP has breakdown cover, and already used it to get the vehicle home?

Basic cover wouldn't help in any case, assuming the vehicle is at home. You would need Home Start at least.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

*Wince*
Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Cost me 40 quid to hire a car trailer with a winch on it for a day. Couldnt really be easier.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Yep much better than a rope as you don't have to cope with the yo-yoing effect of the stretching rope when the following car doesn't brake precisely in synch with the towing vehicle. Can be scary for the unwary!

But for a one-off probably not cost-effective I'd have thought.

What about the 3rd option - paying the garage who are doing the work to come and collect it?

David

Reply to
Lobster

1) Not alot. They're not that expensive to buy. 2) Do you have any mates?
Reply to
Conor

When towing, the towed vehicle should always do the braking (insofar as this is possible - but it usually is). Keeps the rope tight.

And while on the topic of towing, the towed vehicle should NOT put its hazards on, just leave its ignition on. It is then in a position to indicate right or left as the case may be. This is much more helpful to following cars than those damned hazards which are often just a red herring when you see just one rather than both and think the car is going to make a trun.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

but much more scary for the person in the following car as it feels way "too close".

I'd use a rope. Have the Misses drive the towing car and tell her to drive smoothly and not to go over 30. Work out the route beforehand to avoid T-junctions (the long way might be easier?). Be prepared to brake the rope. All lights and hazards on.

Reply to
CWatters

hazards on.

I suggest not hazards

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

Hmmm.

Not if: you can find someone to hire you a car trailer; you passed your test long enough ago to tow a large trailer; you are happy towing something 20ft long and 7'6" wide; your car is equipped for towing; your car is rated by the makers to tow the weight of the trailer (say 650kg) plus the weight of the other car.

When I was admitting that I did car collection work, I'd have done a local collection for £40 or less.

Reply to
Autolycus

The message from "Rob graham" contains these words:

Definitely. Bloody stupid driving along with your hazards on - you're unable to indicate your intentions to other drivers properly, which is far more important than trying to show them you're on tow - which hazards don't indicate anyway.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "CWatters" contains these words:

No - please - not the hazards. Seen from in front it can give a false idea of where the car's going because the lead car may be blocking the view of one side. Seen from behind you get no advance warning of what the car's going to do.

Reply to
Guy King

Hazards OFF on a moving vehicle, it's the law. Besides which how do you indicate? And I bet you ratchet the handbrake as well.

A Railman

Reply to
A Railman

The message from "A Railman" contains these words:

Who, here, has had the ratchet wear out on a handbrake in the last twenty years?

Reply to
Guy King