Gloves

Any recommendations for gloves?

Google suggests these:

(Mechanix) as amongst the best. I can see that type of thing would be good if working outdoors, but that's a high price, and I can't see how they'd work on fiddly things. Also, washing oily gloves in a domestic washing machine?

I had in mind nitrile disposable, but can't figure out the best to buy. I don't work so much on the car but they'd be useful when I do - more motorbike and bicycle.

Reply to
RJH

The Contour Avenger semi disposable gloves are very good giving reasonable feel and better protection than nitrile. They last much longer than Nitrile and can be washed but are not water resistant on the backs.

If you have a local Costco they sell them for significantly less than other suppliers. (They also sell Nitrile).

With Nitrile getting the right size is important, people tend to get ones which are too big.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Those are types that I use (and where I buy them from)

Reply to
MrCheerful

As does our local market (in bundles of 5 or 10 etc).

They also do the same thing but with (typically) green rubber with more of a texture on them which are probably slightly thicker / stronger but offer less feel.

I find any of those disposable gloves (even the right size) last about

5 seconds on me, assuming I can get them on in one piece in the first place that is. ;-)

The only time they (Nitrile / Latex) are of any worth (IMHO) is if you aren't doing anything mechanical and just want to keep simple chemicals (or blood / paint) off your hands (other than all those chemicals that melt such gloves). ;-(

If I'm handling rocks / hardcore or logs etc or want to put some effort into something I tend to wear leather 'Rigger gloves' as they offer a bit more protection against pinching or sharp edges / corners.

Talking of gloves, I *always* wear gloves when motorcycling and (generally) fingerless gloves when cycling (full gloves in the winter). How someone would want to ride a motorcycle, especially in this weather without gloves (even with heated grips) escapes me. ;-(

Maybe falling over as a kid and ending up with a load of gravel in yer hand teaches you how much worse it might be if you were going faster.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I will generally expect to replace at least one nitrile glove every half hour or so when doing general servicing work. The gloves that I found best were latex ones supplied by Mac tools, they had sort of a grip pattern on the fingertips that seemed to improve their life, but I haven't seen their van for years, although they are still going.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I find it's the thumb and forefinger on my right glove (I'm 'normally handed') that rip first and often the instant I touch the first thing. They then flap about for a few minutes till I either replace it or give up with them completely. ;-(

Much of what I do (and how I do it) involves 'feel', like when putting a nut on a bolt or bolt in a hole when you can't see it. Without said 'feel' I can't do such things as quickly or accurately and if wearing gloves, often find them trapped under the nut or washer.

Isn't it frustrating (all be it only mildly mostly) when you find something that works and then you loose, break, use_it_up or worse, lend it to someone and never get it back (and I sometimes think never getting it back is better than getting it back ruined).

Daughter now has some (expensive) needle proof gauntlets for when cutting back the likes of Pyracantha ... when previously after a day doing that she looked like she had been self harming. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Balls to that! I use this type of thing for anything a bit physical (car

  • DIY + gardening).

Some have thinner rubber than others, and let you do quite delicate stuff. I will try to confirm exactly which ones I use.

Otherwise disposable nitrile (which resists oil and petrol). Latex more stretchy and sensitive, but won't last long.

Reply to
newshound

I use something similar for DIY - usually Lidl/Aldi clones when they come up from time to time. Apart from anything else, they make lifting things like sheet materials and fridges so much easier.

Yes, that's the thing on a car/bike etc. And with nasty persistent muck.

I did wonder if the nitrile type were stronger than they look - most garage people seem to use them.

Reply to
RJH

Which nitrile type do you go for?

Many thanks - I'll try a pair of those. Don't have a Costco card though.

Reply to
RJH

I've had my hands in oil since a kid. Always fiddling with engines, etc. Not as much as someone who does it for a living, though. So do wonder just how real skin problems are? No gloves are as nice to use as none at all. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suppose it's down to how you define 'prolonged contact'?

I used to take all sorts of risk with things that might affect my health. I worked with various asbestos based products all my working life; even after the risks were disclosed, I didn't always follow the correct procedures.

Now I have pleural plaques, mostly harmless in themselves but an indication that I have a risk of much more serious disease developing. Every time I get a cough, I'm concerned that this might be the one...

If I had my time over, I would be much more cautious.

Indeed, and when they tear it's a pain to have to decide whether to carry on, or stop and replace them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

True. But even someone working in a garage isn't going to have oily hands all day every day.

I can see that. But the skin on my hands is still OK. Wish my face had survived as well. ;-)

Yes. Watching Car SOS, it's interesting how often they are seen wearing ripped gloves.

It's the lack of feel I hate. When starting a small nut, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)