Mechanics Gloves?

Any of you guys use mechanics gloves while working on cars? Or rubber gloves? I've been thinking about buying a pair or two. I rarely work on cars when they're hot but I'd like to keep my hands a bit cleaner and from getting all cut & scraped up. Are the Mechanix brand any good? I've used nitrile rubber gloves a couple times and they do help keep clean but tear easily and your hands get pretty sweaty. With others I wonder about dexterity and how grungy they'd get. Any thoughts on the subject?

Reply to
M.M.

To me there are two types. One is mainly for pit people in racing who have to handle stuff that is REAL hot, and can't wait till it cools down. These gloves are insulating and fireproof. The other are just to keep your hands clean. For the later purpose one can also consider some of these creams that you apply before working on car, and the dirt washes off easily (well, relatively easily, anyway).

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

The Mechanix gloves are great if you're tuning and working on a hot engine. however I find that dexterity is somewhat limited when they're on. They're good, but they can only do so much. I'm not a big fan of surgical type gloves for working on cars for exactly the reasons you mention. Some people like 'em but to me, it's easier just to scrub my hands than to put up with the sweatiness.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I like to use the regular mechanics gloves whenever I'm working on the really dirty stuff, or tugging on wrenches in tight spots. It's usually easier to keep clean than get clean if you get some old oil/grease on you. They also give your knuckles protection when the wrench slips or when you get snagged on a hose clamp or some other "skinning" tool.

Reply to
doug

I also like the mechanics gloves while doing general work such as brake jobs, component R&R, etc. Obviously, there is a certain degree of lost sensitivity and dexterity, but I find it acceptable. Yes, the Mechanix brand is good, and if I'm not mistaken, they were the original, but I have a pair logo'd by Car Craft which seem just the same to me. One thing that I like is that I can just throw them in the washing machine along with shop towels and rags, and they hold up just fine. John

Reply to
John Selph

"M.M." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3eJgk.4583$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.iad...

Generally I like to work without cloves. Only with using of free fingers a serious working and not kidding is possible. Only in case of a task to do for security reason on hot parts etc. I use mechanics cloves.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

This is my opinion on the subject. There are 2 kinds of people who work on cars, those who wear gloves and real mechanics who don't! HAHAHA Just kidding. But there do seem to be two kinds mechanics, just doesn't mean either is better or worse. My housemate is a better mechanic than I and he wears mostly nitrile or rubber type gloves when doing dirty stuff. He'll forgo them if the work is not so dirty or requires a finer touch. He also plays the guitar professionally (somewhat) and needs cleaner hands, maybe. I tried to get in the habit some years ago and never liked it. The gloves tore all the time (they don't tear on housemate as much. he even reuses a single pair several times!). And as others have said your hands will sweat, and there is a loss of touch. I guess I was just to set in my ways by the time this idea came along so I don't worry about it. I can always clean my hands some more and the dirt comes out of the pores eventually. One thing that might be usefull is to remember to put on a pair when messin with hyphoid gear oil. That stuff stinks and the smell is hard to wash off.

I still have a box of those...somewhere.

disston

Reply to
disston

I've started wearing rubber gloves when doing stuff like oil changes. I have mechanix gloves and they work, but aren't so great for doing fine work. Neither of them really helps with hot stuff or really greasy stuff.

They do help cut down on the skinned knuckles and can help keep your hands cleaner.

So, I'd say I wear them about 1/3 of the time - it depends on what I'm doing.

Ray (just a diy-er)

Reply to
Ray

The reason I started wearing gloves was to reduce contact with used motor oil and other chemicals. Partly to reduce the risk of cancer 30 years from now, partly so when my newborn wanted to chew on my finger she wasn't getting a mouthful of 10w30, and partly so when I was redecorating my fish tank I wasn't polluting the water in there.

But yeah, last week I was greasing the front end of my truck and by the time I was done fighting with the idler arm nipple, I was pretty much black from the elbows down and the gloves had long since been removed because I needed all the finger control I could get. I was also bleeding and pissed off. :)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Reply to
Roy Bragg

Ray,

as an aside - your post reminded me that a pistol grip grease gun is a huge help, especially if you have one of those vehicles that requires a flexible hose on your grease gun. I never was able to figure out how to use the usual parts-store gun; it seemed like I had to hold the hose end on the fitting with one hand, the body of the grease gun with another, and actually pump the grease with the gripping hand, and since I'm an actual human and not a fictional character from a Larry Niven book I found this to be problematic. Ordered a Lincoln brand pistol grip online (hey, I figured if I'm going to bother paying for shipping, I might as well get a *good* one) and find greasing much less frustrating.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I've really started to like lubed for life fittings. The Beretta tie rod ends made it 12 years and 200,000km before needing to be replaced.

The problem with the truck and a grease gun without a flex hose is half of the fittings aren't a straight shot - there's too much stuff in the way. The idler sits behind the stabilizer bar and on top of the crossmember and is at a stupid angle, so yeah, having a third hand would be a real plus because there ain't no way to get in there with a "hard line."

Ray

Reply to
ray

I prefer "lasts forever" myself, but YMMV...

I agree, that's why I recommended a pistol grip. That way one hand holds the grease gun and pumps as well, leaving your other hand free to position the hose on the fitting.

nate

Reply to
N8N