Putting Bebe into storage

Gotta say goodbye to Bebe for awhile on Wednesday and then I've decided to start riding my bicycle. How do people do this, I'm having major separation anxiety. I'm going to miss fweeming around town so much :(

-- Anna Vancouver Island, BC

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy" 58 Panel Van "Glenn" 58 Panel Van "Selah"
Reply to
BugBum

I feel your pain! Today I embalmed four of my five vehicles. For the Beetles and derriviatives I ran 'em hard, changed the oil and filters, filled the tanks, fogged the intake, detached the battery, covered them with a standard, breathable cover and then added a tarp tied down enough to let the wind blow through. Oh, and two boxes of genuine mothballs per vehicle. The forth was the 'burban. F*ck it. I just parked it.

And I slso ride a bicycle all Winter. Why not?

Reply to
jjs

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:34:47 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) shared the following:

Because it's "cold" during the winter.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Not really. It rarely gets below -10F.

Reply to
jjs

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:24:16 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) shared the following:

Usually it's not so easy to get someone to prove your own point for you. Thanks. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

-10F is cold? Hell, we race cars and motorcycles during that weather - on the frozen lakes in town. We even barbque out there. Come on up! Live a little.

Reply to
jjs

I'm back at home in SC now, but I rode my bike every day when I was in WI for a couple of years. In Madison it rarely got below 10F. The problem isn't being too cold, it's being too hot. I rode my bike to work each day - I did drive the Squareback during the winter, but with a mere

2.5 mile commute to work it was faster and more pleasant to bike than to sit in traffic - and while I was cold for the first few minutes my cold weather gear made me much too hot by the end of my ride. I'd arrive at work with my coat open, gloves and hat off, sweating away. The worst of it was the padded laptop bag on my back - that padding really holds the heat against a fellow. A friend of mine moved to Ontario from GA shortly later and had similar troubles with being too hot.

My suggestion is that you enjoy the bike rides rather than miss the VW - but then, as I said, I did plenty of VW driving thoughout the snowy, salty winter so I suppose I'm not one to speak on wintry VW denial :)

as an OT aside, I was amused to see that many Wisconsin natives can't deal with the cold weather at all well. I'd be walking around in short sleeves and shorts and they'd be bundled up as though it was already frigid when the weather was in the upper 50s or low 60s - some even in the high 60s! They left heated homes for heated seats in pre-heated cars in heated garages and drove to heated garages at work, so they never acclimatized themselves to temperatures below ~ 70F.

Reply to
mez

I know what you mean!!! it felt like it was in the 60's the other day!!!!

Reply to
VWGirl

at -40F, people say it's getting a little "nippy".

:D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Its not so much of the cold here in UK, its the cold & wet. Makes for miserable days plus you know its a sad state of affairs when the sun barely gets up in the morning before its time to go again :-(

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I live near the sea, so get an icy wind too! bbrrrr...

Reply to
Howard Rose