Golf Mk4 rear light cluster

Hi all,

Passed the MoT last week, and the next day (!) somebody pointed out my (driver's side) rear light was out.

Hah, I thought, none of that messing around cutting my fingers like I would with the front lights, this will be a doddle.

Well, it wasn't a big problem, but I could not get the rear light cluster out of the little space it resides in. I could detach it from the reflector where it fits, but once free, I couldn't wriggle it out of the area into the boot space where I could deal with it comfortably.

I was only able to change the bulb by awkardly using my bare fingers on it, and I was lucky not to drop it.

So is there a trick to getting the thing out, or am I being thicker than normal?

- no problems on the passenger side as there is plenty of space there.

Cheers.

Reply to
Angus

Its a pain for sure. I've done a drivers side light, and both rears. Fortunately not the passenger front yet :-s .. basically there are a few

10mm nuts you can undo to remove the cluster itself, I found that easier took about 5 minutes.. a little fiddly but I found it easier than doing it your way. Although once away from home and no tools, I had to do it your way, not fun.

The way I did it require a 10mm (I think) socket, and some blue tack in it not to drop the nut and a 5/6" entension bar and ratchet theres about 3 from memory and access is easy enough. Seems a little overkill, but works.

Reply to
Pete

Thanks Pete, I will investigate that approach.

Reply to
Angus