Rear light cluster seal

I am about to replace the rear light cluster foam rubber seal (plastic to chromium - not chromium to bodywork), the old ones have perished. There are three screws; one for the top - yellow and red - and two for the revering and reflector.

Would it be a good idea to glue the top and bottom sections of the plastic cluster together, it would create a much better all round seal?

Reply to
Guy Smith

I wouldnt, the metal light cluster is not great quality and is never a uniform curve, I have found that having the two lights separate allows for a gap to appear, without this flexibility the light would crack in half, glueing together would do the same, the glue would come unstuck.

What you could do is still have them separate but use clear sylicone on each edge, so when butted up and screwed tight there would be a seal.

Jon

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini'

I agree with Jono there, clear silicone is the way to do it,, also if you glued it, then you could have a problem when it comes to changing bulbs, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Isn't that the way you repair most of the problems with the older mini's? With glue and duct tape.

Reply to
madmax