Golf Tapping

Been asked to take a quick look at an M plate Golf automatic today. "It's tapping" was the description - I'll say it is!

Sounds like a tappet gone very wrong, and the engine had very little oil (took about 2.5l, I don't know the capacity so can't say just how bad that was) and water. Fresh oil did nothing for the noise though, and I noticed a regular misfire...

I'm wondering if the lack of oil has caused a stuck valve, hence the tapping noise? The lack of oil and water could be a result of poor maintenance so I'm not too worried - There's no sign of pressure in the cooling system, no mayo, no smoke etc when I looked.

Reply to
Stuffed

The hydraulic tappet would have dried out & I would change the oil & filter with quality oil & a litre of Lucas oil treatment (white bottle) similar to STP.

This will quieten down the tappet & maybe even stop the need for a cam/tappet replacement for the short term

Reply to
A C

My old Golf has a slightly tappy tappet. When I let the car stand for a good while and there's been no oil pumped round the top end of the engine, it tends to be bad for a drive or two. After that it settles down. I wouldn't be surprised if this settles itself down too. Someone's done a guide to reviving tappets on clubgti.com/forum BTW.

Reply to
Doki