good small car???

I like the S, but I do have a thing for rev-happy little cars.

Reply to
SteveH

GLX? GX maybe? The early Micras weren't especially well equipped. I recall my test drive of one of the first. The salesman had told me about how wonderful the Micra was, how high tech the engine was, how reliable it was, all relative to my mark two Fiesta Ghia.

But the only models I could afford didn't have the sunroof, anything like the (standard fit) stereo I had, and the Fiesta had been very reliable too. Oh and I seem to recall that it didn't even have a boot lamp...

Later Micras got more and more equipment as the mechanical package started to age.

Reply to
DervMan

ROTFL

I can make it spin like a bastard if I want to... but it's called 'clutch and throttle control'. ;-)

LOL

It has s**te tyres at the mo, until I get round to sticking the new(er), matched set that are sitting on the one I've got for spares.

:-)

Half the point of having one!

I'd like to replace it with a Super S once madam has passed her test, and stopped driving into other cars / inanimate objects / small children.

Reply to
JackH

At that age, it would have been either an LX, or a SLX... unless, if it's definitely a K11 model, some dealer has taken it upon themselves to tart a few up, as a 'limited edition' - not very likely on something that would have just been released onto the market (and 'Car of the Year' it was too, in 1993).

Not sure of the spec, anyway, but mine is an LX, and has Blaupunkt stereo and a sunroof.

As I've said elsewhere, I actually find on older stuff, less tends to more, spec wise - no leccy windows to pack up etc. (which they did with frightening regularity on my Mk3 Golf).

£600 for one, even that age... if as clean as you say, isn't outrageous - they tend not to rot apart from on the front crossmember just behind the front bumper,(although I was looking under mine the other day, and noted it will probably need a couple of patches welded on the drivers sill, once someone prods them with a screwdriver), and they're pretty reliable overall, with two main achilles heels to my knowledge:
  1. The Throttle Body - these suffer due to the heat from the inlet manifold gradually cooking the main circuitry mounted on the side. It's not the end of the world though - these can be resoldered, but if someone else does it for you, they tend to fetch anything upwards of a £100.

I've just bought one for £25 off ebay though, as a spare - dunno if it's been resoldered or what, but my mate who isn't a particularly skilled solderer, sorted out the existing unit on mine, the other week.

  1. The Gearbox - I've heard this mentioned as more of a 1 litre issue, that a 1.3.

Other than that, make sure the oil is changed regularly, and isn't of the 'Asda £2.99 a gallon' genre, as they're camchain driven, and these will wear out if oil changes are neglected.

Reply to
JackH