Smelly door rubbers

Hi all.

Very weird question.

My car's been filled with an odd odour. A sort of rancid, rotting garlic sort of smell.

I assumed it was one too many kipper vindaloos, and didn't think anything of it.

To cut a long story short, I ended up sniffing the door rubbers, and they

*all* have this really manky smell to them.

I don't think it's environmental, because the tyres don't smell of it, so it's something specific about the batch of rubber in the door seals.

Is there something I can cover the rubbers in to remove the smell, but not degrade the performance or the materials longevity? I was thinking back to black or even furniture polish.

I'm just off to Halfords to buy a car deodoriser!

Car's a 2003 Mondeo BTW.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

you sure its the door rubbers & not the pollen filter given off the smell ? what sometimes happens is the filter doesn't get changed, clogs up with all sorts of s**te and then starts to rot giving off a smell, if it has been changed perhaps air con bacteria smell, that's if air con is fitted of course !

Reply to
reg

Wipe them down with a citrus wipe. Cleans them and gives a nice lemon/orange smell.

Reply to
Conor

Oh no, it's *definitely* the rubbers. If you sniff them, it's almost enough to make you heave!

I wasn't able to track it down to anything specific, until I accidentally smelled the edge of the door.

A "Feng Shui 'Metal'" Air-freshner from Halfords has also done the trick. I think this is the same one the original owner used, and it's nice & coconutty.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

It's nothing specific to the environment, because my wife's car's door rubbers just smell of rubber.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Perhaps the door rubbers have been cleaned with something that disagrees with the rubber?

Anyhoo, I'd try 'Febreeze' and see if that kills the smell.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

When filling the screen-wash, I sniffed the engine rubbers too. They smell strange.

I don't *think* the previous owner went to that extent. I'm not even sure who the owner was. It was registered on behalf of someone, care of the Ford Motor Company.

I'll give that one a go too. I've got 4 sets of door rubbers, 1 boot rubber and a bonnet one. I'll try one solution on each one, and see which smells the best :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The message from Pete Smith contains these words:

My screenwash has got infected with something that makes it smell like a Turkish wrestler's jockstrap. Dunno what it is, but I took it off and washed it out a while ago, along with flushing the pipes through with Milton, but it's back. Smells OK when freshly filled, but after a week incubating it's seriously offensive.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I hesitate to ask... but... how do you know?

Reply to
Adrian

Try straight Domestos.

We had a mildewy bath mat (the rubber anti-slip sort) which had mildew, so I followed the "Extreme bleaching" on the back of the milton.

Not a thing.

Neat Domestos - no problem!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Inference. When I squirt the windows there's a smell like a Turkish wrestler's jockstrap which goes away as the water disperses.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, no, no - you misunderstand... How do you know that's what a turkish wrestler's jockstrap smells like?

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Pete Smith contains these words:

That's next, but I'm wary of getting it everywhere.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Oh - I see. Easy, it smells just like my washer bottle after a few days.

Reply to
Guy King

I had this a few years ago on a Peugeot 405. I dropped a capful of Dettol into the (nearly full) washer bottle and it never returned. Perhaps worth a try before moving onto stronger stuff?

...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner

The message from Nick Challoner contains these words:

Ah, that's a good idea.

Reply to
Guy King