Handbrake 30% down on one side

Have a Thirteen year old Corolla, and am told that the hand brake is 30% more effective on one wheel than the other.

Would this be a very big job for a novice to sort out?.

Reply to
john west

But the rear foot brakes were OK? Rear drums, I presume?

So it's probably a cable that's sticking. Not a huge job, if you're happy to get the drums and shoes off to get at that end of it. You'll be working underneath the car almost entirely - you might need to dismantle some of the centre console inside, depending on where the cables go to.

Reply to
Adrian

It may be a handbrake relay lever inside the drum that has seized, or it may be the cable partially seized. The only way to tell is to remove the brake drums as a start and have a look. If you are not completely confident in what you can do, then the safest thing is to get a garage to look at it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Be a help if you said what the type of handbrake is. Some share parts with the footbrake - others are near independant of it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point, Corolla could be either type.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If you have zero experience in working on cars, or any similar skills, I would respectfully suggest brakes are not a good place to begin.

If you decide to go ahead, at least get a manual, make certain your tool kit is up to it, and be *very* sure you understand how to support a raised vehicle safely.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

+1, but better if you can find a friend with some experience to help you. When I started on the road, for a high proportion of people their first car would be at least ten years old, and they would do their own basic maintenance including replacing brake shoes and adjusting handbrakes. No longer true, I suspect.
Reply to
newshound

For most people then an old banger would rather than maintained be patched up as various bits broke. I remember the first time I had a wheel bearing fall apart and the failed failed all round as the hub fell off and the brake pistons gave way.

Reply to
James H

Was that before or after your Morris Minor took a left-hand bend and then dropped down on one knee?

Reply to
Davey