Handsfree Kit Installation

Hi there,

First of all sorry if this is the wrong group for this topic, if you could point me in the right direction if i am wrong.

Have just bought a Handsfree kit to install in my MK1 Mondeo, a Sony Ericsson HSB-700, it says in the manual to connect this directly to the battery, but rather than do this is there anyway of going under the glovebox and connecting this kit up in there?

Also when i took off the central console today next to the handbrake i found a multi-plug with nothing plugged into it, could this be of any use, or can anyone tell me what this is?!

Thanks for any help, Chris

Reply to
Chris Pike

All hands free kits fitted to our company cars take a direct feed from the battery. I'd guess there's probably some rule/regulation stipulating this, just the same as hands free kits are supposed to installed by a qualified person...

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Usual place to connect is the back of the radio, you will have an earth, live and ignition live there.

Reply to
SimonJ

The message from "Moray Cuthill" contains these words:

Are they? Who said?

Reply to
Guy King

The fleet manager? And probably the car manufacturer as a catch-all type comment.

Reply to
deadmail

I think there's a lot of legacy to direct battery connections. In the 'good old days' of TACs carphones they could draw considerable current (five amps +) which you wouldn't want drawn from just any switched output. In any case if I were responsible for any accessory I'd say 'connect direct to the battery' to avoid any potential problems and liability...

I don't believe the current range of bluetooth devices would draw anywhere near 5A so it's not as critical as it was.

However I'd still be inclined to connect to the battery since it's not difficult, I'd use the radio connections to find a switched feed.

Regarding the original poster, I'd suggest his understanding of vehicle electrics is not that strong if he can't work out if the plug he's found is suitable so it might be wise to seek someone with a better understanding.

Reply to
deadmail

The message from snipped-for-privacy@burnt.org.uk contains these words:

Ah. I misread it and thought the nanny state had got a bit ahead of itself. I'm sure it's coming, but didn't think they'd got there yet.

Reply to
Guy King

Cheers for the help, have installed now, all working perfectly, found a wiring diagram for the back of the radio. Great handsfree kit

Reply to
Chris Pike

It's good practice to supply any radio equipment direct from the battery to give the lowest possible source impedance - there will be less interference this way. A car is a very hostile environment for radio reception - loads of things causing interference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)