Handwashing cars through the winter

I usually handwash my car, as winter is here and frost , road salt etc, I want to stay on top of a weekly wash, however the cold is against me and even using rubber gloves , my hands are freezing. I was thinking of using a Sponge mop, bit wary about the sponge coming off and scratching the car, any tips on washing through the winter? I have a pressure washer but it does not apply detergent at high pressure which gives a nice foam. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Avanti

Wear woolen fingerless gloves...

Reply to
DervMan

Flash car wash kit.

You don't have to dip your hands in a bucket of water. The soap sprays on, you wipe the car over with a sponge then rinse it down. Works really well, and takes about 15 mins to do an average sized car.

Reply to
SteveH

Do you have any car washes near you? I have a whole bunch of Self Wash Car washes around me. And the preasure washers have a warm water function where they spray warm water instead of cold and that will keep you from freezing.

Reply to
k&mautomotive

I never use anything detergent, just plain water from the hose pipe, and a bucket of hot water.

This weather is bad though, I don't know what to do. I haven't washed my car for a week, at the driveway is still frosty. If I wash it the driveway (and possibly parts of my car) will become icy, and dangerous. Some of the water usually runs into the road too. I think I'll just have to wait until it warms up :-(

I can't remember it being this bad last year.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Oh, ffs!

Words fail me.

Reply to
SteveH

lol

Reply to
reg

Put some salt in the water. This will help stop it freezing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So does using detergent in the water and not rinsing. Ok you end up with a slightly streaky car but you'll still have to scrape the ice off the car windows tomorrow morning and that gets rid of streaks on the glass.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I thought you looked after your car?

"Aw diddums" springs to mind. Don't use the hose pipe then. Use a bucket and sponge, minimises the loss.

Pah. Can you remember this time last month?

Reply to
DervMan

I have a pair of neoprene gloves similar to what divers wear. I've had them years and don't recall where I got them from (never dived in my life), but I use those and my hands never get cold unlike the rest of me.

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

I do, I don't like the soapy things though, water works great!

Yeah, but I can't do it properly. I like to get the jet on the underside of the car, and around the wheel arches.

I think there was only one week in the past where I couldn't wash it due to the cold conditions.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

You don't get streaks if you use a Flash kit.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes you can, it just requires more effort. But it won't annoy the neighbours or the local water board so much.

Besides, do you have to do every square inch each and every time you wash it? Not really.

Pah.

Reply to
DervMan

I usually do, but when the roads get salty it'll be more important for me to wash every inch.

btw, the 'rust' on my car doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and I've decided to keep my car for at least another year. I went to my local Fiat dealer to look at a Panda, but they don't do Fiats now :-(. Hopefully when I want/need to replace my car in the future there will be some better small cars on the market. Manufacturers just don't seem to want to make fast, economical and practical small cars these days :-(.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Reply to
SteveH

[snip]

The poster has a point, just one episode of snow which didn't stick and I rarely remember having to get ice off the car, definately not this side of Xmas, February perhaps...perhaps the weather folk are gonna be right this year....

Reply to
Avanti

petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 20 Nov 2005 11:01:53 -0800:

It's doubtful that they're your local Fiat dealer, then.

Reply to
David Taylor

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

As well as stripping all of the wax from the car. For the same reason you shouldn't use washing up liquid.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

I have the solution. Don't wash if it's freezing.

Reply to
Malc