Handwashing cars through the winter

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

I prefer my solution. Don't wash.

Reply to
Guy King

Here here!

Erm... We're still talking about cars, aren't we?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Yebbut - yer bum don't rot if you get salt stuck up it.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The message from Ian Dalziel contains these words:

Personal experience or supposition. Or suppository.

Reply to
Guy King

Sell the flippin' thing, start travelling by bus, and subscribe to uk.rec.knitting instead of here.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

take it to a car wash, you can even leave the engine running so its nice n warm inside.

KJ

Reply to
Kirk Johnson

lol @ chris :o)

Reply to
reg

The car wash brushes leaves light scratches on the car......

Reply to
Avanti

Do what I do - buy a car with light and not-so-light scratches already. Car wash? no problem. Country lane scrape on a hedge - no problem. Bit of a bash from a supermarket trolley - so what?

It's only metal. get over it!

Reply to
PC Paul

Morrisons in Coventry - reduced to 14.99

Reply to
PH13

That's the spirit. The bloody things depreciate so flaming rapidly that it's hardly worth keeping them pristine. Rust free yes, scratch and dent free sod that.

Reply to
Malc
[snip]

The car was purchased brand new so I would not have been chuffed if it was delievered with scratches, it is my 1st ever new car , I only wish to keep it looking brand new as long as possible.

Reply to
Avanti

Avanti ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A fool and his money...

Get real - not washing it for a week or two is NOT going to make any kind of long-lasting difference. How fragile do you think the poor 'ickle thing is?

Reply to
Adrian

So you have never washed your car then, just thrown a bit of water arround. Bit like rain really.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Or proper car shampoo and a chammy afterwards, aren't a big soft girl.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Peter unless you have stupid ammounts of money to spend in the first place, you are looking at a 2 from 3 compromise. For normal money you can have fast and economical fast and practical economical and practical in a small car, but not all three. BTW, in terms of fast I'm talking 0-60 sub 7 seconds, top speed 110-130. practical seats 4 and luggage economical at least 35-40 to the gallon on a cruise. And not be a diesel. Not many economical to buy cars pass those tests.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Do it a few times and you get used to it. My car usually gets a wash, wax and service at new year. Sometimes even new years day. It is something to do while the hangover goes away.

If it is really cold, use marigolds. If it is actually sub zero, leave it until the first melt day.

Oh and don't wash it weekly, monthly is fine. Wax it 3 monthly. Polish it 6 monthly, but only if it is starting to dull.

Works for me. If you worry about salt and road spray underneath, go to a jet wash weekly, stick in a token and blast the underside and the inner arches. Much quicker and more efficient than trying to hose and brush under there.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Not if you take it to a Hand wash.

Reply to
John

Are you sure they're not just telling you that?

I think they're still Fiat dealers, they just don't want a halfwitted, know-nothing numbskull wandering round their showroom carpet looking at the coffee machine and complaining that "The decaf is pinking" and "This Punto is too big".

You appear to have failed repeatedly to understand anything to do with cars, or indeed life itself.

You seem to want a car the size of a postage stamp that uses no fuel, has the interior space of the tardis, will carry 41 people with luggage at 200 mph, with a list price of £0.41.

It ain't gonna happen, so f*ck off and leave people who enjoy cars to enjoy 'em.

Reply to
Pete M

Fiat Siecento?

As you were...