Handy new service from MOT/VOSA

Crikey. Place I used last Monday was down a narrow twisty alley, and the road in front of the bay so narrow needed a few shunts back and forth to line the car up. A neighbour's grandson has started working there and was touting for business. He loves the old SD1 so much I had little option. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

the requirement is 45 (IIRC) minutes from start to end, the car details are entered on the computer, 45 minutes later the result can be printed. The need to see the car is mainly so you can get the exact and correct vin number, they are easy to mis-read.

Reply to
MrCheerful

says on page 55: test bays must then be kept clear of all non-MOT testing activities and equipment when testing is in progress

which strongly implies they can be used for other work at other times.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

That was my thought / observation but as Chris mentions, maybe these sites had 'grandfather' rights. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A motorcycle place I know has a 'MOT Viewing Area' that is remote from the actual MOT area and done by CCTV but isn't (for reasons I can't remember but sounded reasonable at the time) recorded (as is their security footage etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's got the best lift because the MOT procedure demands a 4 post lift that has the car sat on it's suspension. It has to have grease plates so the steering can be moved though full travel while loaded. It has have a traveling jack that can lift the car wheels off the ramp so the wheel bearings and brakes can be checked.

VOSA can demand the equipment be updated. New emissions testers are being rolled out that are connected direct to the the MOT database.

Reply to
Peter Hill

[8 lines snipped]

Wrong.

Reply to
Huge

Or I believe a full length pit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

... and now they've taken it away again.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

That is a pity, it was probably leading to aggrieved car purchasers going to the garage that issued a dodgy ticket. (which should improve things)

Reply to
MrCheerful