Headlamps not working

Hi

I was away for the weekend last Saturday and at the beginning of a 200mile journey we noticed the passenger side dip headlamp was not working. Everything else was fine. I assumed it was a bulb and bought one on Tuesday, unfortunately the local car accessory shop sold me the wrong one! Before I had a chance to replace the bulb the drivers side dip headlamp stopped working too! The next day I bought two new headlamp bulbs of the right type and fitted the passenger side bulb immediately, however the dip beam was still not working :(

On further investigation, it seems that the original bulb looks ok and that both the small 10Amp fuses look fine too. I have looked at the Haynes manual but the diagram suggests that the relay feeds a single supply to the ignition switch, but doesn't tell me what or where the relay is (that I can understand!) I am stumped by the fact that one dip headlamp seemed to work for 5 days and several hundred miles longer than the other........

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be?

The car is a T reg VW Passat 1.8T saloon.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave

Could be a bad earth problem. Put a voltmeter across the bulb connector termainals to check for 12v (without bulb fitted). If it is an earth problem, with the bulb fitted the volatge will drop.

Reply to
Biscuit