Heated Front Widscreen

My next car hopefully will have a heated front widscreen. Im not sure which cars have them as standard. Does anyone know.

gaz

Reply to
Garry

AFAIK, Ford still hold the rights to these, so Jag or Ford.

They are an option for most of the Ford range. Worth having if you park outside a lot, but not essential otherwise.

If you are talking about a used car, it's quite tricky to be sure that all of the elements are working. You need to get the car well steamed up before trying!

The screen is divided into a left and a right hand circuit. The current taken is very high when they are working. It makes the alternator whine on my Focus.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

When I hired a car with a heated screen, it was a cold, wet, day in Dublin, so it was nice to have..... or would have been if the driver's side had been working.

The passenger got a nice clear view, whilst I was wiping the screen with my sleeve.

Reply to
SteveH

LOL! Probably the fuse. I seem to recall the Ka took two 40A fuses...

Reply to
DervMan

All the Ford range that's a Ghia or higher trim level. Some Zetec trim levels have it as an option.

Reply to
Conor

It happens that Garry formulated :

Ford models seem to be the most regularly fitted with them. If in doubt, you can just see the fine wires buried in the glass. Worth checking even if they are fitted with the switch, because not all previous owners might have been willing to pay the extra cost when the screen needed replacement and might have opted for a none heated one.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Garry writes

Even if it doesn't, you can buy them for all sort of cars as either an option or an aftermarket fit so don't rule out something you really like because it doesn't have one.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

And Caterham Seven ...

Reply to
Adrian C

AFAIK, it has been available as an option all all Ford trim levels on those cars that could have it for the last decade or so.

It is certainly available on a 1.4 CL (bargain basement spec) Mk1 Focus.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Most of the newer Land Rovers have it fitted as an option (called the Cold Climate pack) and the D2 can have it retrofitted fairly easily (Switch, Relay, BCU option turned on and of course the screen itself). Defenders etc. can have some aftermarket screens fitted, with the wiring done DIY.

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

IIRC, Ford own the patent so only (some) of those from that group.

If buying a car with one check your insurance will pay for replacement if needed. Some won't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or in my case (Ford Focus Mk2 Zetec with Climate Pack), it was the connector under the plastic tray under the windscreen wipers. The screen had been replaced previously (it was no longer a Ford labelled screen) and I think the connectors hadn't been connector correctly, or clipped down properly and disconnected over time/bumps.

Just opened the bonnet, removed the metal clips for the tray, lifted a corner, disconnected and reconnected the connector on the passenger side, clipped it back as it should have been before - but wasn't - and it all worked fine again.

David Hearn