How to change brake diiscs?

How do I change the brake discs on a nissan bluebird? Is it a difficult job? Bearing in mind the age of the car and them being on a long time.

Reply to
Jack Johnson

You'll want a big hammer & a Haynes manual. & possibly a £10 angle grinder. Buit it's more tedious than difficult.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I don't know. Spending a few quid on a haynes manual will probably stand you in good stead.

Unless things are really seriously bad, the worst that happens is you have to smash the old ones off with a hammer.

It might be worth changing the pads at the same time.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

If funds are seriously short, you may be able to find a Haynes in your local library.

Seconded.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I might be wrong here, been a while since I did a set of bluebird discs, don't see that many coming through the workshop now, but ive a feeling they are pressed on to the hub, like I say I could be wrong.

Reply to
reg

Get somebody who knows what they're doing to do it, if the tube went on your TV would you try fixing that yourself?

Reply to
ThePunisher

Yeah, but everybody's got to start learning somewhere. If you are going to change brake discs, then at some point in your life you will have to change them for the first time. Ditto pads, shoes, drums, etc. etc.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Yes, but it's not wise to start on one of the most important parts of the car.

Reply to
ThePunisher

Why not? Brake disks are hardly difficult to change - remove wheel, drop off caliper, whack disk off (preferably not on foot) refit and done - so long as you do both sides, it's not an issue :)

Hellraiser...............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Or just take the pads out, sometimes.

...First trying and failing miserably to get the disc retaining screws out, swearing at your ineffective impact driver, and resorting to drilling the heads off the screws...

Surely it would make more sense to fit the new ones? ;-) Remembering to degrease them first 'cos they come oiled up so as not to corrode. And remembering to give the hub a bit of a clean-up with light sandpaper / whatever so the disc sits perfectly flat against the hub so you don't get any eccentricity.

And do the pads as well unless they're completely like new. Or you can mystically somehow guarantee that they're flat. Or you don't mind rubbish braking for ages and your new discs starting out life by getting worn unevenly.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Normally, yes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I should have added (TV engineers exempt)

Reply to
ThePunisher

I know, but remember there are people out there that put brake pads on the wrong way, would you want to be in a car with them?

Reply to
ThePunisher

So, you wouldn't fix your TV unless you were a TV engineer.

What relevance does this have to anyone else's decisions?

Reply to
David Taylor

& I'm a sound engineer not a vidiot :-)
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Do you have to bleed the brakes ?

Reply to
Matty

Nope, not unless you bugger up the hose to the caliper :)

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Ahhh I see, so you could just use a cable tie and tie it up while you do you disc and then put it all back together happily.

I'll be doing this job soon on my car and was unsure as to bleeding the brakes or not.

Cheers for that.

Reply to
Matty

Yes, if you have to take the caliper off. Some vehicles you just have to take the pads out, and then replace with the new ones (unless you're a pikey and reuse the old ones).

No need, you don't have to break into the brake hydraulics. Only minor point is that you will have to drive the brake piston back into the caliper in order to accommodate the thicker new disc & pads. Usually this is straightforward unless the caliper incorporates a handbrake, in which case some kind of tool is involved - I've never done it, hopefully someone will be along to explain properly any second now...

Reply to
Vim Fuego

thanks for the help.

I have purchase a caliper reqind tool to push the piston back. Only £15 and can be used on other cars too. An investment I reckon.

I will be replacing the pads as well. I'll be doing all four discs and all pads.

Reply to
Matty