Need Help with CJ-7

I have an 85'CJ7 which I am restoring. Six cylinder with 4 speed. It has been running fine. I am stripping it down completely, and I pulled the guages out of the dash so as to get a good paint job on the interior. When I tried to put the Jeep back into the garage it would no longer keep running. It will start but as soon as I release the key, it dies out immediately. The only way I could get it back in the garage was to keep pressure on the key in the start position and back it up a few feet while turning the engine, starter and all. I did pull the tach out - would that break the run circuit - so am wondering if I just need to replace it and then try. Ignition shot? I really didn't put any undue pressure on anything, but maybe I pulled a "run" wire out or broke it or something like that. Any ideas, please, would be helpful regarding possible cause and easy checks. Thanking you all in advance. Dan

Reply to
Dan Grulke

It is the tach.

On the Laredo, the tach is inline with the run power for the ignition module. You can just plug the two plugs together without the tach in there.

Mike

Dan Grulke wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain