95 Saturn Sl1 Will not start when warm

I have a 95 Saturn Sl1 that starts fine when it is cold but is almost impossible to start after it has warmed up. When it is warm you have to crank it for quite some time, then it stutters for a while like it is getting too much fuel ( also a cloud of smoke) until it smooths out. After it gets going it runs fine until it is shut off and you try to start it again. If you let it get cold it will start right up. Any ideas as to what is wrong with it?

Reply to
N2UVU1

Could be a leaky fuel injector. You park, fuel drips out of the injector and makes it waaay too rich.

Cold start is OK because you need a richer mixture, and the gas has had a chance to evaporate and to drip into your crankcase.

As an aside, start the car when warm with the gas pedal to the floor, this will help claer it if it is indeed flooded. Be ready to let off as soon aws it fires.

Check your oil to see if it smells like gas- you may need an oil change frequently if you're dumping gas into the oil via the cylinders.

Only real way to diagnose 100% is to start and run the car (at idle) with a fuel pressure guage attached, and shut the car off, and see how fast the pressure drops.

Another way, I guess, would be to run the engine, get the car warmed up, and shut it off by pulling the fuel pump fuse. If you shut it off that way and it starts OK (after you put the fuse back in), but it starts like crap if you shut it off with the key, that would be a very good indicator you have at least one leaky injector.

If you're lucky a fuel-injector cleaning might help if they are leaking.

Me, ima certified cheap bastard, I'd prob. put a switch in the fuel- pump circuit and shut it off that way if that made it start OK, and it otherwise ran OK!

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp