1999 Taurus will not start? Can anyone help me diagnose? TIA

I drove my 1999 Taurus to a friends house this morning and I noticed it was hard to start. After getting there I shut it off and when I got ready to leave it would not start. At this point the battery was about bad, so I had a fellow to jump start it and it still would not start. I went and got a new battery and put it in, but it still will not start. I noticed too after replacing the battery I have a "check engine soon" light that I had not noticed before. Someone told me that I may be able reset the computer but I am not sure how to do this? Thanks in advance for any help? Danny

Reply to
dlhusk

Resetting the computer is easy enough. In absence of the proper tool, disconnecting the battery for a while will do it. Alas, that light is trying to draw your attention to the fact that there are stored trouble codes there. If you have them read, someone here may jump in with some clues why your vehicle is hard to start. But if you just 'reset', they will be gone, leaving us in total darkness.

Happy Traveler

Thank you Happy Traveler. I am having a mechanic look at it this morning and I am not sure that he has the equipment to look at the code "he is more of a shade tree mechanic". I am in an area where mechanics and shops are scarce but I have to take what I can get. I saw where there is a deal to hook a laptop to read them, maybe that is an option. Anyway I will try to post. Right now I am thinking that it is either the fuel pump or the egr valve? Any thoughts on that? Thanks again, Danny PS I hope to be a Happy Traveler again soon also !

Reply to
dlhusk

Update: Mechanic says it is "crankshaft sensor", I am getting one tomorrow, will update ASAP.

Thansk, Danny

Reply to
dlhusk