Clutch Slip?

Hi all,
Rover 214 SEi, N-reg (old shape).
Accelerated in 4th yesyerday, engine revs increased, but no increase in speed.
Today in 3rd and 4th, same thing happened, but not every time I drive in 3rd
or 4th - only on a couple of occasions.
Is this a slipping clutch? Has not done it in 1st, 2nd or 5th.
New clutch? If so, what price should I be looking at supplied & fitted?
Cheers Paul
says...

Sounds like it.
Buy another car, it's cheaper.
--
Conor

Paul

220 quid the whole job
MrCheerful says...

Exactly.
--
Conor

Paul

Not when it's mint with 50k on the clock.
Cheers Paul
says...

It's still a 300 motor.
I bought a J reg Rover 420 which at the time was the same age as this Rover 214. It was mint with about the same mileage. 200.
At that age, it doesn't matter how mint they are.
--
Conor

But the chances of finding a truly mint one cheap which won't need any work in the near future is rare - and a gamble. Very few people sell old but perfect cars. In other words, buying a 'mint' alterative won't guarantee it won't soon need a new clutch or similar.
--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Paul

Fair point Conor, but I like the car. Yes it's 11 years old, but I like it and want to keep it and will get the clutch repaired/replaced one way or another.
Cheers Paul

For starters, the clutch is more likely to slip in higher gears. Change down or keep a light accelerator foot to nurse it.
Is there some free play on the pedal? i.e. can you press it down a little before it begins to stiffen as it operates the release mechanism? If there's no free play it's like driving with your foot on the pedal - bad for the clutch. If there's no free play, adjust it to get some and you may find that the clutch is perfectly alright.
Rob Graham

Hi Rob,
True in what you say, has now slipped in 3rd, 4th and 5th, but not in 1st or 2nd.
No free play on clutch - just feels exactly the same as normal.
Will take it into the garage I use and get it checked out.
Thanks very much. Paul

But there should be free play!!! Make sure that you can depress the clutch with your fingers just a little bit before you need your foot to do the real work.
Rob

They have an auto adjusting cable, there should be quite a bit of free play, if there isn't then the cable has failed (quite common) But I bet it is just a worn out clutch, I used to almost do them in my sleep they were such a common job at one stage, about two years since the last one now though.
Mrcheerful
Rob graham wrote:

I certainly wouldn't recommend that! You'll struggle to keep your eyes on the road at the same time.
Vino