HFM!? - Petrol Prices

Jesus Wept... a car that needs 100 octane, and you ran it on 91.

Poor car, I'm surprised you didn't melt the pistons, the poor thing must have ben pinking to hell.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Look, Peter - that's an example of what pinking really is!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@SwerveForeskinWeb.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think you'll find they tend to deal in the odd Hamster, too.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Peat contains these words:

Bugger. I noticed that after I'd typed it, got distracted by the kids and forgot to come back and change it.

Rumour has it that Sheikh Yamani once bought a London cab. When asked why he said "It can turn on a sixpence, whatever one of them is".

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Prices are low, but not /that/ low.

Reply to
Guy King

If you can do sums while you're trippin' I'll be impressed.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

Chinese consumer demand, and the recent explosion at the large BP refinery in the southern US have contributed.

Reply to
James Dore

Was it something to do with auctions, the farmer kept the pound and the auctioneer kept the shilling?

Does anyone know?

Reply to
OG

a BSA three wheeler counts as a car!

When I was a 16 old lad I was the proud possessor of a BSA 'Winged Wheel' which was a small petrol-engine cleverly built into the rear wheel a bicycle.

Anyway this thread seems to have degenerated into the Monty Python sketch 'Four Yorkshiremen'... "Try telling the kids today"!

Pete

Reply to
Ivan

Ivan (ivan'H' snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I have a '50s "Hercules" ladies bike here if anybody has a Winged Wheel or CycleMaster or similar in need of use. The bike is free to a good home.

Reply to
Adrian

Does that mean then that my ancient Astra diesel that runs on almost anything that burns, could once again become a prime target for car thieves? :0(

Reply to
Ivan

My citroen was like that. I was stuck with little money and no fuel, so I poured 5l of Veggie oil into the tank.

After running the glow plugs up twice, the car started, bit lumpy, but it got me 45 miles home...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Happy days, I wonder could a modern cycle frame stand the stress?.. For a short period I also flirted with a Trojan 'Mini Motor'? which was fitted above the rear wheel, the problem with this arrangement was that the clutch consisted of a lever that dropped a wicked looking spinning splined wheel on to the rear tyre, which consequently wound up with big chunks taken out of it so required frequent replacement, which at the time I could ill-afford.

Reply to
Ivan

Haven't actually tried anything other than diesel fuel Paul, but it's a 15 year-old 1.7 (none turbo) Astra estate so should be OK, however at the first sign of any crisis it will be a case of Somerfield here I come, with an extra large shopping trolley!

Reply to
Ivan

Now 5p was 12p in old money. there used to be a 10 shilling not ISTR (not that I'm old enough to remember).

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

That was the traditional way of doing it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Thats because a =A390 banger costs just =A310 a year less to insure than a= =20 =A33k super mini.

I know. As a devotie of the theory of Bangernomics (apart from my=20 current car (and even that is undervalued for what it is) I have never=20 paid more than =A3300 to buy a car, and never more than =A31k in repairs=20 ownership and running costs including purchase(bar=20 insurance/tax/petrol). If you pick an unpopular car, you get it chap,=20 but as a new driver (I was 32) it was still =A3500 to insure =A380 Skoda=20 TPFT, that was the best quote. The worst =A31400 including europe cover.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

5 new pence was indeed 12 old pence, but was written "12d." ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from Sleeker GT Phwoar contains these words:

I'm still waiting for the final ).

Reply to
Guy King

And the world is running out of oil, not tomorrow, but nothing substantial has been found in years and demand has been increasing massively for some time now. Simply it has become a finite resource, the recent $50 a barrel problems arrived by finding out that the last swing producer (last with spare capacity) was actually pumping at full bore like the rest of the world and there simply was no more taps to turn on to meet extra demand.

Of course we all know what happens when demand increases on something that has a fixed amount? The price goes up. This is expected to continue for the next 20 or 30 years AT MOST until the last drop is burned and we as a world learn to do without the thing that has built our modern society, cheap energy.

I kid you not but noone gives a shit so don't worry about it, its easier to bury head in sand and not have to think about the possibility- bloody loony left and conspiracy theorists, all their fault- just forget it, probably wont apply to you....will it?

Ad

bittorrent

Mad Ad