HFM!? - Petrol Prices

I only do about 10 miles a week, if that, and so haven't had to glug any fuel in for a while. However, the guage has been below empty for the last couple of trips, so I decided to put a fiver in on the way to Tescos tonight.

85.9 for bloody unleaded! When on earth did that happen? I've been a bit up to my neck in stuff recently, although I recall hearing something about a budget, but I thought fuel duty had been frozen for a while (probably so as Teflon Tone didn't get protests in the run up to an election).

A 6p rise in at most 2 weeks seems a little odd, anyone know WTF is going on?

Obligatory on topicness - The Metro seems to really hate the overpriced fuel even more, it's now taking to cutting out in a straight line. I'm starting to think there's an electrical fault in the LT, probably between the relay and coil. But I also don't care, as I'm too skint to fix it, and have another (s**te old Biritsh) car waiting for me to be able to afford to tax it. Bloody BL.

Reply to
Stuffed

Isn't it the usual oil price hike? Some economist type person mentioned that £100 per barrel (I think) was possible and so everyone thought "Oh that's a good idea" and started raising prices.

Reply to
Malc

Ah, righty. I did briefly consider that at the pump, but thought surely not, as with the influx of Iraqui oil now everything's all hunky dory there, the price would surely be lower if anything? ;)

In the early hours, I often wonder what is going on with the price of oil. It doesn't seem so long ago it was 30 USD a barrel, and I can't see how it can possibly have gone up so much unless there's oil company greed or an undisclosed lack of the stuff at play.

Still, at least that's answered my original question, thanks :)

Reply to
Stuffed

I have seen the Chinese consumer expansion blamed for an increase in demand.

Reply to
Howard Neil

When I bought my Escort, I could fill it up for £35. It now costs £50. That's been in a month!

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Some dodgy oil company let their refinery explode.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

When I started driving, unleaded was 64.9, or 60.9 over in Reading (not far, and I was often there anyway). The other day I paid 88.9p/litre for diesel.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Pah. When I started driving there was no unleaded but the equivalent grade was 4s 10.5p (four shillings and ten pence halfpenny) per gallon. This equates to about 5p a litre. I suddenly feel old. :-)

Reply to
Howard Neil

Oil has gone up from $36 to $56 dollars a barrel since Christmas.

Unleaded is currently 82.9 here, it *will* be close to 90p a litre by the end of the month unless oil prices take a nosedive - thats unlikely.

Start imagining there is an egg under your accelerator pedal and your MPG will increase no end!!

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

Howard Neil ( snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETOREPLY.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What's a "shilling"?

Reply to
Adrian

As will the size of the queues behind you at lights, roundabouts, junctions, single-carriageways etc.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

With apologies to Terry Pratchett:

NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee.

It would help if I explained the monetary system in the UK before 1971.

Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and one Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated. ;)

Reply to
Paul Cummins

That's right, rub it in. :-)

Just in case it was a serious question,

should help.

Reply to
Howard Neil

This being a problem because..?

Reply to
Chris Street

Guineas are still sometimes used. I know of one livestock auction market that only uses guineas and there may be others.

Reply to
Howard Neil

In terms of conserving fuel I was thinking more along the lines of not flying up behind someone until you are a foot from their bumper, then braking unnecessarily and repeating the procedure several times in some vain, pathetic, i have a small penis kind of attempt to get the car in front to go faster.

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

Acually the recommendation for cars with fuel injection is to use a wide open throttle but not exceed 2000rpm for maximum fuel efficiency. Can anyone explain the logic behind this?

W.

Reply to
Well_i_Wonder

Less throttling losses. On a carb engine the increased richnes at full throttle more than made up for it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Howard Neil ( snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETOREPLY.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It wasn't.

I was born almost exactly one month after decimalisation - so I'm a mere babe-in-arms - not *quite* half way through my three-score-and-ten. That's next year.

Reply to
Adrian

??

Not possible on an automatic is it?