Rover Exhaust Clicking

I have a 1994 Rover 214SEi. When the exhaust gets hot, it starts to make a metallica clicking sound every 30 seconds or so. It does this whilst the engine is on, and also after switching off before it cools.

It appears to be coming from the middle of the exhaust at the centre of the car.

Is this where the catalytic converter is and does the metallic clicking indicate a problem? It has started doing this in the past fortnight.

Cheers Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul

You mean it plays a specific type of rock music? That really is extraordinary. What a shame that That's Life is no longer on tv. You'd be a dead cert for a featured slot and an Odd Ode.

Reply to
Dave Baker

If it's that old then possibly some of the guts have come apart. There's not a lot you can do about it and it will probably work OK until it finally falls apart - as exhaust systems eventually do.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Yes, what a typo! Any idea on the problem though? Prefer rock 'n' roll by the way!

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

Cheers for that. Recent new backbox and front pipe, so presumably I can just get a middle section. Any idea on cost?

Cheers Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul

Don't know that. Someone here might.

Rob

Reply to
Robin Graham

Maybe just the expansion/contraction of the metal against a bit of catalyst material ?

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Either:

a) loose heat shield around the cat itself (metallic buzzing most noticeable at certain revs) b) expansion/contraction of the cat casing (sounds like somebody hitting a frying pan with the handle of a wooden spoon? - possibly indicating cat overheating)

Cats aren't too expensive, maybe around £90 if you fit yourself. However, it's recommended that you also replace the oxygen sensor at the same time (especially if the cat has been overheating as this could be caused by an over-rich mixture which is one symptom of sensor failure).

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

You have accurately described the problem there - frying pan/wooden spoon.

I will contact my garage and see what they say about the cat.

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

And another one - if I left it a few weeks (ie due to lack of money), would this be an issue, ie could I cause more damage?

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

It's going in the garage on Monday. New cat, £99 supplied & fitted inc VAT.

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

Sounds like a reasonable price if it's all in. However it won't include the oxygen sensor and the instructions that come with a new cat recommend this is replaced at the same time. They're about £40 to buy. If you don't feel like changing it just yet then do get the emissions tested on your car as soon as you can (will show up a sensor fault), otherwise your new cat might get choked the same way...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Cheers for that Darren. Will speak with the garage about it tomorrow. Is an Oxygen Sensor the same as the Lambada Sensor?

Cheers Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul

O2sensor & Lambda sensors the same. But if you need a new cat then you'd hope whoever told you that had already checked it was working.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Yes, well Lambda (not lambada - think that's an exotic kind of dancing!?), O2 (oxygen) and HEGO are all used interchangeably depending on who wrote the Haynes manual at the time. I replaced mine because my 414 failed the MOT on emissions. Part itself looks like a spark plug and screws into the back of the exhaust downpipe, facing the engine block. Mine had seized and was a b***** to remove involving some rather unconventional methods...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Just thought I'd let you know that it's sorted. Not a new cat, but heat shield welded. No more clicking!

Cheers Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul

sounds like metal expanding - I'd ask at a rover dealers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Already sorted Bill. Just a heat sheild that needed a spot weld.

Cheers Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul