Honda Accord 2004 - Brakes & Discs

Hi all,
I'm after some advice as I'm a novice when it comes to car maintenance. I have a 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 I-CDTI Exec and I got the
car serviced in Jan 05 at 12,500 miles. Whilst it was at my local Honda dealer I was informed that my brake pads and discs where 70% worn and needed to be replaced, front and rear. The small sum for this would be 675 UK pounds. I was shocked to say the least and told them that I would continue to use the car until they where 95% worn. I have the car today on 21,000 miles and the original brakes are fine, but how can I check how long they have left as I have zero trust with what my dealer has been telling me. Also how long should I expect to change my brake pads and discs?
Many thanks,
Kev
says...

How long is a piece of string? How fast your pads wear depends upon your driving style and the types of road you drive down. I hardly put any wear on mine because I hardly need to use the brakes..mainly rural A roads with plenty of slowing down on engine braking.
The only way to judge the discs accurately is to measure their thickness with calipers and a micrometer and check it against manufacturers recommended tolerance.
Oh, and 675 is a rip off. Take it to any non francised garage for replacement discs/pads as its not really a complicated job.
--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

I've a feeling Honda have made changing discs rather less easy than most.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Don't know how different the current vintage Accord brakes are to my 1994 Prelude, but my brother changed the front discs and pads on the Prelude this weekend and it took him 1 1/2 hours tops.
Parts cost was about 80 from http://www.brakeparts.co.uk .
Only problem was that the pad springs in the fitting kit didn't fit, so had to reuse the old ones.
--
Richard Sampson

mail me at

My 96 Accord still has the original discs on at 120k. If your discs are really more than 75% worn then there's either something wrong with your brakes or something wrong with the way you use them! Pads is another matter of course.
Do you have a branch of Protyre near you? http://www.protyre.co.uk / They have always been happy to do a brake check for me and they've always come in cheaper than anywhere else I know in the SW for brakes (and exhausts for that matter). You could ring them for a quote anyway.
Aside: I still haven't found anywhere other than Honda who are prepared to change the discs on my 96 Accord Wagon. The discs are the top-hat type where the disc is behind the wheel hub. Apparently the rather physical process of dismantling this usually results in the wheel bearing being destroyed and an unhappy customer with a bigger bill. There is an alternative method for these Accords (http://tinyurl.com/2bbye 182k PDF) but most garages aren't interested in anything other than whacking it hard with a slide hammer. I would hope that Honda resolved this issue by the time your Accord came out!
HTH, Al

That does sound a bit steep. They often need replacing around 20-25k though. However, it's usually only the rear discs that need doing.
Where are you located? If you're near the NE I will be able to help on prices :-)
--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

As long as a piece of string. I can get 40k out of a set of pads without trying hard 'cos I don't often use the brakes. I know people in the same car who can't get 15k because they use them a lot.
Discs are very variable but don't seem to last as long these days because of changed pad compounds and heavier cars.
As for the cost - outrageous. Have a look at http://www.brakeparts.co.uk /
Parts for the front appear to be under 100 a bit less for the rear - though I'm not sure exactly which model yours is. Don't assume that because they don't list one they don't do it - email them and they're very helpful.
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.