Honda Legend Coupe 3.2l comments?

Probably one for Andy Hewitt...

Anyway, I'm considering changing cars again and the Legend managed to sneak on the short list by virtue of being insurable for a reasonable amount of money, at least compared to the car currently occupying the #1 slot.

From what I gather these cars are just about bomb-proof[1], but are

there any potential problems I'd need to check for apart from the usual "check that every, *absolutely* everything works and doesn't make funny noises"?

Obviously would try to go for one with FSH and all that... [1] Couple of rungs below timo-proof usually

Reply to
Timo at Work

Heh!

My god, that's another one off my list then!! :-)

Yes, nothing on these to worry about. If it's done a serious mileage check for suspension wear, and possible caliper wear too. I'm talking about 130k+ though.

Check the cambelt has been changed, as these are a very big job to do (not as big as a 20v Fiat though!). And they are fitted with 6 platinum spark plugs too.

We had a couple of regulars at Coupers that were pushing on to 200k miles without any really serious problems.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Heh. It might go to the top of your list if it turns out that I can't break it...

I'm trying to get one that's done less than a 100k preferably. Looks like prices have dropped considerably recently so that should be perfectly possible.

Do you happen to know what the change interval for the cambelt is?

Cost probably pales in comparison to the fuel consumption :-)

... and then you also had me with my Legend as a customer.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

LOL.

Yes, big cars always suffer more anyway.

It's been a while since we did one, but I think they are about 96k on these, although I'd do them at 60k once you get past 100k anyway.

, and your normal repair bills :-)

Aye, but you had an early one, the 3.2's are so much better.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Yep, especially with the fuel prices recently. Mind you, there are still hopefuls asking 4k and more for one...

Eeek. Most of the cars I was considering have between 90k and 95k on the clock. I'm beginning to wonder why.

Yeah, I can imagine - I drop the car off at Coupers, don't hear anything for a week, then get a phone call from Honda saying "How did you manage *that*? This *never* goes wrong".

So you keep telling me. I think I may want to find out...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Heh. The same reason a Fiat with the 20v engine can be picked up for peanuts at 60k miles.

Reply to
SteveH

*whoosh*

:-)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

LOL, yes, they are a frightener. Still the Legend is cheaper than these

- *just*!

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

17 hours labour!
Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I was thinking it might have been a 'la, la, la, I'm not listening' sort of a whooosh ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

No, I don't think so :-)

Although that was my initial reaction. Besides, please do *not* give Timo any fancy ideas here! ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

In news: snipped-for-privacy@k17g2000odb.googlegroups.com, Timo at Work decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

They're possibly Timo-*resistant*, but they're never gonna be *Timoproof*

There's a chap near me who /loves/ Legend Coupés. He's had about 4 of them, normally has two at once (one is normally an accident damaged "spares" car). He runs them up to 250k miles then flogs 'em on. He's been smoking about in Hondas for about 12 years now, always keeping a nice one and a wreck at once. He reckons it's the best way to run 'em.

"They're very reliable, but when they break they reliably cost huge money to fix"

Reply to
Pete M

Heh. What do you care? - you've escaped his curse now ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Given the figure Andy just quoted, it was the sound of air rushing into the space that was just vacated by a rather large wedge of cash...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Only physically, he can still do mental torture though :-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

You're still on the same island, right :-)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Yes, but the Internet has removed that boundary too :-(

Mind you, there's not really a lot of chance of me buying a Fiat Coupe!

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

True. That would really worry me...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Yes, it'd be closely followed by me being collected by men in white coats! ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Do they fit a new engine onto the belt??

I've always wondered about the logic behind having the two halves of your engine kept from being smashed violently into each other by an elastic band which seems to be increasingly expensive and critical to replace with each new design of lump, but... 17 hours? That's Italian engineering ;o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman