Legend?

Hi all,

Has any one any experiance with the Honda Legend? I currently own a 1985 Civic and am very impressed with the build quality. However the civic needs work, and quite fancy a Legend Coupe. Should be a nice car looking at the specs.

Any comments/suggestions welcome

TIA Matt Bennett

Reply to
Matthew Bennett

It's front drive.

Reply to
Doki

I'm sure that makes a difference to someone driving a 1985 civic who mentioned he was impressed by build quality. 2+2 together says hes not after a RWD nutter mobile. And 99% of the time, the average driver wouldn't notice whether they were FWD or RWD.

Legends are basically Rover 800's i beleive, except with decent build quality. Solid enough, no Rover 2.7 V6 tho, which is a peachy smooth engine :)

They're a lot of car for the money and should go forever.

Reply to
Dan405

There never was a Rover 2.7 V6 in an 800, it was always a Honda engine. Late model 800s had a 2.5KV6 which would explode for no adequately explained reason.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Why's he posting in uk.rec.cars.modifications and not .misc then? Sure it's a decent enough car for general motoring around in, but if you want it to go well with some power and slide round corners... The average driver probably wouldn't notice, but then the average driver thinks that above 3k rpm means you're speeding, and is happy to pootle along with no concept of what's going on around them...

Yep.

Reply to
Doki

Like hondas and as far as i know only USA Legends were RWD and that was only one model. Think the 500 japaneese twin turbo 2.7's were RWD. Want a cheap car that is more than happy on the motorway, that still offers large amounts of comfort. The civic is being slightly modified. The legend will to. From what i can see the breathing system of the Legend is crap. Thats about it.

Reply to
Matthew Bennett

Well you do and drive an un-modified Ka ;)

Reply to
Dan405

How crap? Unless it's really shockingly crap, which I don't really expect from Honda, you won't make more than a couple of extra horses. Best cheap motorway car you can get is an XJ40, and they go rather well considering the weight of them, though petrol is consumed at a rate. I'd say a Legend would be a pretty good car, and probably more reliable than the equivalent priced Senator / Jag XJ.

Reply to
Doki

My mistake, thought the 2.7 was a Rover engine, but you're right, t'is a Honda :) Still lovely and smooth tho :)

Reply to
Dan405

Realiability/Insurance being the key here. My honda has been trouble free for 18 years. My grandad brought it 18 years ago. Has never had more than £100 spent on it to pass a MOT.

According to the sites i have read, there is about 20BHP difference between breathing systems on the US UK and Jap models.

Reply to
Matthew Bennett

And the high octane fuel the Japs most likely run it on, and the fact that they probably had different emissions rules.

Reply to
Doki

I'm saving for the 400 brake Sierra. Or at least an Autograss car :P

Reply to
Doki

quite possibly. I have yet to discover which countrys came with which breathing system. The uk car is about 200bhp.

Any one owned one, know some one or who does?

Reply to
Matthew Bennett

in news:bpjfus$1pa30p$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165560.news.uni-berlin.de, "Dan405" prate thusly:

The 2.7 v6 was a honda unit, and was also available in pre-'91 legends. After '91 the choice was of 3.0 or 3.2 v6, IIRC. My dad tried one, but found the handling a bit too soggy, which probably fits with the rover 800 connection....

Yup, cheap as a cheap luxury barge now, and given that honda make a reliable 160bhp 1.6, you'd think a big unstressed v6 would, as you say, last forever.

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Yup, friend of the family had one (2.7), (which may dad thought about buying, and test-drive for a few days), then bought another (3.2)

He likes them - he was interested in comfort, reliability and value for money, and the legend has those in spades. The 3.2 came with 205, 212 and 230 BHp, depending on the year/ spec. I think the 230BHp version requires super-UL (will run on lower octane, but retards ignition, thus less power). Alternatively, you could get an LPG conversion - LPG has an octane rating of about 120, IIRC, so you'd get the full power, plus cheap fuel bills. Which would be nice.

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

A gen1 Legend IS a Rover 827. The 2.7 V6 is not a Rover engine, its the Honda C27a unit and an absolute peach, and as reliable as one would expect from a Honda.

Actually, if you ignore the interior trim and insignificant electricals (centre locking, leccy windows etc), the Rover 827 has exactly the same build quality as the Legend. mk1 800s were slightly dubious perhaps, but the mk2 827 Coupes were built very well thankyou and you can do far worse than one of the last 827 Coupes. (£30k cars when new)

My advice would be 827 Coupe, on the basis that you've got exactly the same car for a tenth the price of the Legend Coupe.

They don't look that bad (or /that/ dated - cover the front of that

2nd photo on the page above and it has elements of A6/A8 about it?) and you've got that lovely motor in the 2nd to last pic. Insurance will cost as much as the car though. (£500)
Reply to
marko

If you want any advice or have any questions about Hondas, have a look around this site:

very knowledgeable people on there!

HTH

Alex

Reply to
Alex Jackson

That's correct, for the early model at least.

That's incorrect. Legends are well known for being 'iffy' as a result of their 800 heritage...

That's also correct, there is *no* Rover 2.7 V6 :)

Reply to
Lordy

Eh ?

Reply to
Nom

Eh ?

My car is FWD, and has 200bhp. Based on that, I have no wish whatsoever to move to RWD.

I don't care in the slightest whether my next car is FWD or RWD - if anything, I'd rather have the extra boot-space and interior-space that comes from FWD !

Reply to
Nom