Alternator cooling ducts

I had a mooch around some hot saloons today outside a local pub where they gather on a Sunday.

I noticed most had a duct to take air to the alternator and I came away wondering if this is due to the fact they might generate extra heat for some reason due to electrical loads - or it may be due to higher underbonnet temperatures.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer?

Reply to
John

Pretty much what you've said. It's mainly for the higher under bonnet temperatures, which with an alternator under high load, could cause the alternator to overheat.

Reply to
moray

Only one I know of is Celica. Only a few had it - turbo models I think. Alternator was behind engine so would be in very 2nd hand air with poor flow and under bonnet temps could be high with turbo.

Also had cooling duct between cam covers to keep direct fire coil packs cool.

Reply to
Peter Hill