How do I adjust Mk1 Mondeo doors hinges?

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the position of a Mondeos' front and rear doors in their door apertures?

I need to replace the nearside doors on my Mk1 Mondeo as a cheap reskin insurance job means they are rusting in the seams.

I know how to remove the old ones and rebuild the new ones but neither Haynes nor Google can tell me how I adjust the hinges to get a good fit on the new ones after I have fitted them . I assume that the hinge part bolted to the door has elongated holes that will allow up/down and in/out movement but I have not dared loosen one to see. However this would not allow the door to "rotate" if for example the top of the door was neared the rear of the car than the bottom.

Do the hinge parts bolted to the A and B pillars have elongated holes? I am puzzled that the rear door hinges on the B pillar appear to have a bolt coming through from the inside. Do I have to strip off the trim and loosen this bolt to make adjustments.

Advice from anyone who has done this will be most welcome.

Reply to
Andrew Graham

I can't *specifically* answer your question but - many years ago I stripped and rebuilt a Cortina Mk3 and had to adjust the doors during the refit. I don't expect that things will have changed much in this area.

The door hinges are loose fit on the "A" frame with a hefty plate behind each one. The door catch bolted onto the centre pillar is likewise. Its then a juggling exercise to get them all to mate up! I achieved it by removing the door catch completely, and adjusting the door hinges until the door "looked" ok when closed. I then refitted the door catch and adjusted its position until the door closed and locked correctly. During *ALL* of this time, the nuts holding the door hinges and door catch were *ONLY JUST SUFFICIENTLY* tight enough to hold the weight of the door - the door was never opened to its fullest extent as this put undue strain on the hinges and messed up the alignment process. Once I was happy with the alignment, I got into the car from the "other" side and tightened everything up.

HTH

Reply to
Paul King