How do i turn back mileage?

Only real reason I can think of for legitimately changing the odometer reading is if you've fitted a different instrument panel/ECU which is showing a different mileage to the true one. With an electronic one though, you're looking at connecting the ECU to a laptop with the appropriate software to reprogram it. So take it to a main dealer for that make of car, who will have the software.

It's not illegal to change the mileage shown (eg to match on a replacement instrument panel)- but it is illegal to change it to increase the value of the vehicle or some other fraudulant reason.

Those of us who own and deal with cars with mileages well in excess of

100,000 miles really don't care what it says anyway!

Rich.

Reply to
Rich Russell

Are you a complete low-life, who is attempting to perform fraud ?

Reply to
Nom

in news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk, Guy King slurred :

Disinterested means _either_ "without self interest" OR "not interested"/"having lost interest"

Reply to
Albert T Cone

in news:Xns959CD8F80CEAFadrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian slurred :

One possible genuine reason is that his car is a peugeot 307 - many of them left the showrooms with the odometers set to measure kilometers (IIRC), so the apparent 'mileage' is ~60% higher than it should be.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

He probably didn't, at that point ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

You are Wilt and I claim my £5

Reply to
PM

I'm guessing it was relatively new at the time if it was only wound back by

12k, as these days 12k on most ZXs would make very little difference. Unless he was a complete numpty and thought people wouldn't look at old MOT certificates.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

And I reckon if there was a genuine and non-fraudulent reason he'd have stated it.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from Albert T Cone contains these words:

Not in my world it doesn't!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "PM" contains these words:

I ain't read that for ages - must look out my copy.

Reply to
Guy King

in news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk, Guy King slurred :

Um. I can't really argue with that.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

It was a £500 banger, with 110,000 miles showing, a broken speedo, and a week old MOT showing 122,000 miles.

So, a real numpty ;) I didn't care about the mileage, I just wanted to haggle and he was having none of it, Siani got a knackered Xantia instead and loved it.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Albert T Cone ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Haven't Peugeot issued a recall for that, though?

Reply to
Adrian

God, can you imagine the average Peugeot dealer getting it right? It'd probably come back with the LCD displaying 'Fuck You' in arabic, or something.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

RichardK-PB ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtconnect.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or in a Brummy accent - isn't the 307 built at Ryton?

Reply to
Adrian

I think it's assembled there. Built implies it's actually intended to stay together...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

You mean like me, and this thread?

Reply to
James Dore

in news:Xns959DD1AB280F4adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian slurred :

Yes, but the 'fix' involves correcting the increment variable in the BSI so that it increments in miles rather than km from that point on, but they don't (i.e. have been specifically instructed by peugeot not to..) reset the mileage reading to the correct value. If you whinge at peugeot for long enough they extend your warranty to shut you up.

I supsect they are concerned about people who have already had the correction going to another dealer at a later date and having it 'corrected' again, and thus 60% shaved off the apparent mileage, and thus be implicable in a fraud charge or something.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Cue hackles raised on literally dozens of Coventry-based readers...

Reply to
DocDelete

Well, potentially, but surely they could store all mileage corrections on the main computer that main dealers use to look up service records from any main dealer around the country, couldn't they?