How easy is this stuff to fix?

Hi All,

My car has just failed the MOT, nothing big but being a banger it is hardly worth spending the sort of money a profesional would charge to do any work on it. I thought I would post here to get your ideas on how easy it would be for me to do, or how much I should be looking at to get someone to do it.

Also, would a less fussy garage pass any of these faults?

It failed on -

Front and rear wishbone bushes bad, rear cracked. Front numberplate cracked. Headlamps not giving a clear patern, they give a blured spot.

I am vaugly competant, but not very experinced. The car is a 1994 ford mundano 1.8 hatchback. I do not have the haynes manual. I do not particuly like the car, it having drive to the wrong wheels and being so slow, so I guess an excuse to get another is not totally negative.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
David Jones

the first 2 items might get through with a different tester, but most will fail the bad headlights, however it might just be that the bulbs are badly fitted!

personally I hate mondeos, so bin it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I have just picked it up, and have more details -

Front registration plate letter/figure likelty to be misread [6.3.2b]

nearside front rear suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulring in excessive movement [2.4.g.3]

offside front rear suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulring in excessive movement [2.4.g.3]

nearside front blured headlamp not in good workign order adversely affecting baem image [1.2.4a]

offside front blured beam headlamp not in good workign order adversely affecting baem image [1.2.4a]

Cheers for any help,

Reply to
David Jones

It should've probably passed on them. Unless the actual wishbone is about to fall off it's pass and advise. If you can't find a garage to agree with that though it's about 50quid a pair, fitting about 20quid a side.

That'll probably fail, it's only a tenner though.

Probably the plastic diffuser thingys behind the glass have yellowed due to the wrong (too long) bulbs being used. About a tenner each and you can change them without removing the whole light, just remove the top clips.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

and the bumper as well as there are clips at the bottom of the headlamp which aren't accessible with the bumper on, the you can remove the glass. those plastic lenses you'd think they would be the same price but they aren't, very odd !

Reply to
reg

we should all be " singing out of the same hymn sheet " so there shouldn't be any less fussy garages..............now that's in theory.

Reply to
reg

I know. I thought I made it clear that you don't have to remove the bottom ones. With the top ones off there's enough movement in the glass to get the plastic bit in and out.

But you're right there, it is odd about the price difference.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

hmmm I'll give that a try next time, didn't think there was enough room, the last ones I changed, the customer was watching and I didn't want to bend his lamp glass back to much, knowing my luck I would have bust it, so I stripped the bumper off.

Reply to
reg

It helps not having fat, pudgy fingers of course ;-)

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

have them for 10.50 + vat each. I'm sure you could get a headlamp off ebay for not very much.

Reply to
adder1969

It seems that most mondeo's of that age have yellowed headlamps, and most Galaxy's too, I expect it was also a design fault or bad choice of plastic.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

bad choice of plastic, it suffers from UV & heat damage from the bulbs, hence the need to use genuine Ford ones.

Reply to
reg

Take it to a garage that only does MOT's

Reply to
Paul Cummins