How to change spark plugs?

Do you need a special tool to removed standard 14mm spark plugs? Or would a normal socket do it? Please explain I am new to this. I gather the majority of cars use 14mm plugs and not 10 or 12 mm. Which cars use 10 or 12?

Reply to
Bill

I'd have thought you'd do well to obtain and look at a haynes manual for your car as a start.

JohnR

The message from Bill contains these words:

Yes - a normal socket isn't deep enough. Most socket sets come with a special socket for plugs - they usually have a rubber insert to grip the ceramic bit which makes things a little easier.

If you haven't got one - go get one.

Reply to
Guy King

I believe my plugs are 14mm, On the

website it says "Almost all cars and light commercial vehicles use 14mm spark plugs. Yet on that website
it says "Most cars use a 21mm plug spanner, but there are a few with muchsmaller spark plugs, such as 1.0 - 1.4 litre Peugeots and Citroens,for which a smaller spanner is needed." Who is right? When I was looking I could only see 10,12 and 14 mm spark plug spanners for sale. Never saw any 21mm. Most are 21mm that must be some kind of mistake?

Reply to
Bill

14mm sparkplugs need a 21mm AF socket, which if it's deep with a rubber insert is referred to as a 13mm sparkplug socket.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

I am confused. What is an AF socket? Don't you mean a 21mm AF socket is referred to as a 14mm sparkplug socket? As I only saw 10,12 and 14 for sale. Why don't the spark plug makers put the size on the box, would make things easier.

The 10mm spark plug wrench seems to match the gap of 14/15mm spanner.Where's the 10mm socket looks tiny compared to it.

Reply to
Bill

Spark plug size refers to the thread diameter. This is not the same as the size across the flats of the hexagon on the spark plug. A 14mm plug spanner will be the same as a 21mm socket if memory serves me.

Go to the store and find the plugs needed for your car. Then find a spanner that fits those plugs.

Reply to
Chris Street

What is your car?

I have two sizes of plug socket - a big 'un and a small 'un. The big 'un is used more often. If you go to Halfords, as suggested below (or above if you're that way inclined), and find your plugs it'll be quite obvious which socket you need when you wander over to the tool section. Try to worry less :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

AF means Across Flats (at least that's what I've always taken it to mean) which, obviously, is the distance across the opposing flat faces on a nut or blot. The 14mm will probably refer to the thread diameter. A rule of thumb is that the nut AF is 1.5 times the thread diameter.

Reply to
Malc

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@lightindigooverthere.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No.

An M5 bolt has a 5mm thread and usually requires an 8mm spanner. An M7 bolt has a 7mm thread and usually requires an 11mm spanner.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Actually - yes. Many sparkplugs have a 14mm thread.

Reply to
Guy King

Which gives you 5x1.5=7,5 ~8mm etc.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I think it does.

I sit corrected.

Reply to
Malc

No, as a rule of thumb you were/are correct.

Reply to
JohnR

JohnR ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ummm, his original statement was that the nominal size of the spanner referred to the thread diameter. For metric fasteners, that's not right.

IIRC, 14mm are usually M10.

Reply to
Adrian

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

True - but the OP's confusion was between 14mm thread and 21mm spanner.

I thought I read somewhere somebody saying that Metric sizes usually... Oh, fuckit. I give in. My brain's not working this morning. The cat's convinced there's a mouse in the cupboard behind the bed, and spent the night trying to find the damn thing. I Didn't Get Much Sleep.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

M5 - 8mm head M6 - 10mm head M8 - 13mm head M10 - 17mm head M12 - 19mm head

That's for standard engineering bolts. Car manufacturers have their own ideas and play fast and loose with the conventions.

Reply to
Guy King

On a point of pedantry no I didn't. I said AF was across the flats and

14mm referred to the thread size. I then went on to make an erroneous statement about a correlation between thread sizes and spanner sizes.
Reply to
Malc

Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

May I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier admission of incompetence :-

Reply to
Adrian

Snag is you where essentially right :-) The 14mm is the thread size & the

21mm is across the flats
Reply to
Duncan Wood