How to get rid of rust?

My 1997 Reg Nissan Almera is getting rusty in the engine department and i am worrying. Could anybody give me some good suggestion on how to get rid of those annoying rust? I have heard that the WD40 can not get rid of them but will prevent them? Is that true? If it's true, how do i get the rust off?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Michael

Wait for a full moon and sprinkle magic pixie dust over the engine bay. Worked for me.

Reply to
neutron

Rust is a perennial problem once it starts and there's no proper long term cure. WD40 certainly isn't the stuff to use. A layer of oil will keep rust at bay but it'll make the engine bay messy. Try a proprietary anti-rust paint (like Jenolite) and then ordinary paint over the top. Mind you, I don't really know how effective these anti-rust special paints are. Just keep as much air and water off the metal as you can for as long as you can.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

The battery tray on my SD1 had surface rust, so I washed it down with plenty of water to get rid of any acid, used Jenolite agitated with a wire brush, cleaned off then painted with Smoothrite. (It's a black car) It's held up very well. Trouble is when rust starts in seams - it's nigh on impossible to stop it for any time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, but you didn't say how many minutes ago you did this.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

:-)

About 3,679,291.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes my 1985 BMW 525e is also getting rusty in the engine department ... i'm absolutely despairing over the car as its just out of bmw warranty and i don't know what to do!!!

ROTFALMAO!!!!!

(I run it on santa pod rwyb ... i'm trying to wear it out before it rusts away you see).

Reply to
Mr Fix It