How to get rid of old petrol?

What's a good and safe way to get rid of a can of old petrol? The fuel has been in the can for many years and so it wouldn't be good for the car.

Reply to
Green Jaromba

Pour it somewhere and set alight to it, that works.

-- James

Reply to
James

Please, please don't if you value your life or property. I suggest adding a small amount to your fuel tank over a period of several weeks.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

As someone who spent eight years in the fire brigade, and has seen how volatile the tiniest amount of petrol can be, I can only call your suggestion ill-conceived :-(

Reply to
The Bean Machine

Hmm, i'd use the stuff to light the garden rubbish burner my self, i usually use stale methanol (model car engine fuel) some people can light petrol and not set them selves on fire.. ok some can't, it's upto the individual to decide if they are sensible or not, if you'd consider pouring petrol on a flame, then you are not sensible.. as anyone knows it's the vapour that burns, not the liquid.

Anyhoo.. to get rid of the old petrol, how about selling it to the local youths to sniff or something :)

Reply to
CampinGazz

What about taking it to your local tip and pouring it into the "used engine oil" container?

Alternatively maybe you could give it to a neighbour to use in a lawnmower or leaf blower?

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

If it's leaded, or you don't know, DO NOT use it in a car with a catalytic converter - you might do it in.

Burning is FAR too dangerous and anyone who suggest it is a fool at best - anyone making this suggestion ought to be sued.

An old mower might be able to use it if it's mixed with newer petrol.

Dumping in an oil recycler is going to cause a problem for someone at the recycling plant - maybe a fatal problem...

Maybe ask at your local fire station and see if they can advise? -

Reply to
R. Murphy

I gave a gallon to the local fire station to play with.

Of course, what you really *want* to do is go somewhere remote, make a long string & petrol fuse, light it, and run like f*ck, screaming and giggling like a schoolgirl ;o)

Probably best not to though.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

(only if it goes wrong)

Spoke to a mate who did this to a gallon when a foolish youth - he just lit it (possibly ensuring the liquid couldn't spread). Apparently it was fine - a bit hot and exciting, but otherwise ok.

Burning in small quantities would work. I'd mostly be careful about the burning liquid escaping, and the dangers of igniting the vapour. Oh - and of course being careful not to do it near anything which might mind (house, car, trees, pets, children, etc)

(last time I did this, pouring it in our (full) ash bucket and lighting worked very well. but that was only a tiny amount - a gallon would get tedious).

Other alternatives - run a petrol stove off it (much cleaner burn than just burning it on its own, which is a good thing. But don't do this with leaded)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I don't see how. The recycling company can't assume it contains only oil, as anybody could dump anything in it, such as petrol :-).

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

When did everyone lose their sense of fun? ;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

IIRC from reading Spike Milligan's war books, the army used to fill an oil drum with sand then pour petrol over it and use it for cooking. As the petrol is contained in the sand which presumably acts like a wick it burns controllably. I haven't tried this myself yet.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malcolm White

Sued for what?

Reply to
Doki

Sell it on ebay, under the vintage motor parts section, some clueless f***er will bid a few hundered quid if you word your listing right :)

Reply to
Gazz

How big is this can?

Assuming it's not more than about 5l, bung it in the car when you've got at least a 3/4 full tank and it won't hurt anything. Not even a cat or a diesel. This is a non problem.

Steve Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Many years ago I worked for a man who owned a shop which had trouble with rats in rubbish which was piled up in the back yard. His solution was to buy a gallon of petrol pour it over the rubbish and throw a match on it, one of the most frightening things I've ever seen in all my life, if one can imagine four bloke's trying to exit through a door all at the same time with flames leaping the height of the building then I can assure you that it's given me a very healthy respect for petrol ever since.

Reply to
Orange

I also remember the case of the man who thought it would be a good idea to chuck some on his BBQ to re-ignite it. He required numerous skin grafts after receiving third degree burns...

Regards tox

Reply to
The Bean Machine

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:48:17 -0000, "Malcolm White" employed a troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:

It works fine. I have heated many tins of Compo Rations in this way and never blew myself up at any time.

Reply to
ColonelTupperware

Just stick it in the tank when it's nearly full so it's well diluted. Non event.

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Put it in diesel, as petrol or parafin can be added up to 25% to prevent frezzing in winter.

Reply to
Keith