Hypothetical MOT query ...

If a vehicle is fitted with extras like anti-lock brakes / traction control etc., is it an MOT fail if these are not functional, particularly when considering that they may have been specified as optional extras when the car was first purchased?

And, would it be permissible to fit a conventional braking system to a car previously fitted with an anti-lock system - given that the 'new' brakes would satisfy the MOT braking test?

Thanks for any responses.

Reply to
Sunday Driver

Sunday Driver ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

ABS is testable if fitted. Other stuff may very well not be.

- as ever - gives the full guide to what's tested and what will cause a fail. Don't forget that it's a case of "If nothing explicitly fails, it's passed".

Permissable? Yes. Feasible? Almost certainly easier to fix the damn ABS...

Reply to
Adrian

You appear to have miss-spelt 'bodge the ABS light on the dash to do something similar to what it should be doing' ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

not hypothetical as you can do away with it, but you have to completely remove any trace of ABS ever having been fitted to get it through the mot which means the pump/s, sensors, abs lights ect ect have to be removed, but as Adrian says it might work out cheaper trying to fix it, we used to do it with the fords when they came out with ABS on the escorts, it was the s**te belt driven mechanical system, remove driveshaft's, replace with non abs shafts,new master cylinder ect ect, all stripped out then given an mot ticket.

Reply to
reg

Recently had to do this on a Renault 19 Chamade 16v, ABS unit built into M/cyl. Can only remove it by removing engine 1st *gulp*. We were fitting a

5 GT Turbo engine so it wasnt a prob as we fitted the 5 Turbo M/cyl and pedal box too. This sends many a renault 19 to the scrapyard in the sky.

Chri$

Reply to
<$>

Are there any of these Future Classics still around? I haven't seen one for a long time.

Reply to
Mark W