New Zafira, electrical or immobiliser problem

Three or four times now our 2006 1.8 petrol manual zafira has just 'died' when we attempt to start it.

What happens is you turn it over and it fires up, then cuts out. Subsequent attempts to start it have no effect, there is no response on turning the key. The radio comes on, so it doesnt sound like a battery or connection issue.

The yellow car with spanner through light comes on. According to the book this may be an immobiliser issue, shich sounds likely, as if you leave it a minute or two it will start.

Has anyone heard of this problem. It has started since we began using only the spare key after my dear son bent the main key by slamming it in the house front door.

ANy more info required?

TIA Ed

Reply to
Ed

Sounds like a key issue. My first suggestion would be to try the spare key, but since you are, best option will be taking it back to the dealer, as it should still be under warranty (except the borken key off course!). It certainly sounds like a faulty key, which if the spare key is faulty, it should be covered under warranty.

Reply to
moray

had this on my new astra. me and the missus regularly swap cars (which ever cars at the top of drive goes first...) we had a key each...got it hooked up and was told to keep the spare as a spare and use just the one key (we were using both) still does it occasionally though. but not offen enough for me to worry about it.

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

Provided everything is working properly, it shouldn't make any difference what key you use.

Reply to
moray

Thats what i told the bloke at the dealers, he said the computer coded it as incorrect key or something of that nature, then told us just to use the one key!!

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/uk-car-maintenance/200706/1 I'll take it back to the dealer and see what they say. Does the warranty cover labour too?

Reply to
Ed

There is a transponder in each key which disables the immobiliser when you insert it into the ignition. Most good locksmiths can make a clone of the key without having to program anything in the car. I would take the damaged key to a locksmith and get a replacement. This will confirm if the spare key is at fault. If it is the dealer will replace it under warranty, including labour.

JOhn

Reply to
John