Hyundai ignition key - £94!

What colour is the key she has ?

Demon

Wife has only has 1 key for her Hyundai amica (2000reg). She called at the Hyundai service place today and was told it'd cost £94 for a new ignition key to be cut!!!! Is this for real? If so, can someone pls tell me if there is somewhere I/she can get a new (copy) key for a more reasonable figure? thanks

Reply to
dave

dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Welcome to the wonderful world of modern cars with transponder immobilisers.

Reply to
Adrian

Timpsons locksmith should cut for a 2000 vehicle.

Reply to
maxi

Hmm... I lost one of my Pug (406 1998) keys three or four months back. A localish locksmith did me one for IIRC about £35 and I believe it does have a transponder in it. However I opted not to bother with the remote locking plipper option as that would have put the cost up to about the same figure as Hyundai quoted you.

Reply to
malc

Thanks for the replies - only just read. Her car is not a posh thing - only a tin amica si and the key colour is black, Looks like a plain cheapo ign key to me and I don't think it has any electronics in it.

The (main) reason for the second key is that it's so easy to get locked out of the car. The window button does not pop up if close the drivers door. It's gonna happen if she doesn't get a spare key - I know it. :-)

Reply to
dave

all cars built after about 1998 had to have engine imobilizers built in, so your key whilst looking all dumb and innocent will have a little trasnponder inside it, they are not big things these transponders, similar things to the microchips they put in dogs for their passports, so can fit through a needle,

You could prolly go to a locksmiths and get a non transponder dumb key just for opening the doors with, but if you want it to start the engine too, you'll need the extra 30 odd quids worth of electronics burried in the key to work it.

Reply to
Gazz

Ahh I see. Thanks.

Reply to
dave

I keep a dumb spare key hidden under the car with a magnet for these occasions.... There was a time once when you could buy a magnetic box with a lid for hiding a key.... my grandad had one!

Previous to this i kept a peice of judiciously shaped carpet trip cable tied to the rear axle beam for use in the event of a locked in key/ locked out job!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Thanks Tom/all, We found a shop (web) that was only a few miles from us - wife went there this morning and they cut a new key for the hyundai and - amazing (to me anyway), were able to prog, the thing with data from the car info. plate in the engine bay. Also it actually worked! and the cost... £30! Really glad for the info that these things exist from you folk on this ng - it's saved us £63 and a wait for it to be done. Thanks again.

Reply to
dave