Hyundai keys; no problem just puzzled...

The newly aquired 98 Accent Coupe came with a blue-handled key and two black ones; both black ones would unlock the doors but not lock them, ( they can, of course, be locked on the button ) the blue key would lock & unlock doors; all keys work in the ignition.

Mindful that the blue key might be precious as it came with a metal tag embossed with a code, I called round to the local locksmiths today to get the blue key copied so that I might leave the original at home. ( After several embarrassing incidents in the past I *always* make a point of locking the door by means of the ignition key ) The locksmith X-rayed the key, or something, and confirmed that it had a transponder, but she could copy and chip the new key at some cost.

'Never mind, just copy the key so it will work the doors & I'll pair it up with a black key for the ignition' said I and so paid £5.70 for a basic non-transponder key.

Naturally I tried it in the carpark before I left, the new key would lock & unlock doors but while the engine turned over it wouldn't fire, just what I expected really except that when I got home and tried it again it started the engine perfectly!

So I don't really have any problems, just puzzled about the whole set-up...

Are all modern cars suppllied with immobilisers as standard or are they still optional i.e. is it likely the Hyundai has one? ( incidentally it is the very basic model without alarm or central locking ) If it is working does it inhibit the starter motor or the ignition coil or both? If immobilisers fail do they fail safe, i.e. car will start?

Reply to
Steptoe

From what I remember the blue one is some sort of "master" that may be required when you go to get it serviced.

My '98 Accent locks without a problem with the black keys FWIW... (although I usually just use the button on the way out)

Out of interest, have you got a 3 door, and in which case, is your back seat made out of the same shi* fabric as mine ?

Its about as tough as 10 denier tights - mine split down the seams almost immediately and I had it replaced under warranty - the new set split even quicker ! (I gave up then)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

give 3 stealerships a call, n take the best answers lol.

Reply to
Neil

The car looks fairly DIY friendly so I hope not to trouble the dealers too much; anyhow the blue key is tucked up safely now in case it's needed for anything, though if a bog standard key will operate ignition it doesn't seem likely that it will ever be required for recoding purposes; maybe as my version is so basic the immobiliser was an option!

Colin, my version is the three door with fabric seats, the rear still looks immaculate as if it has never been sat on ( maybe it hasn't? ) the driver's seat has a slight wear mark but in view of the 100K+ mileage this is not unexpected.

Thanks for your replies

Reply to
Steptoe

Immboiliser's generally don't re-activate immediately. There is usually some form of time delay (IIRC fords have a 2second delay from ignition off, and peugoets vary depending on whether the drivers door has been opened).

It could be that the first attempt the immobilizer was active, whereas the second attempt the immobiliser hadn't reactivated.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Moray Cuthill wrote on Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:50:33

-0000: [snip]

Or alternatively, if both keys were on the same keychain at the time, it could have detected the transponder despite it not being in the key in the ignition

Reply to
David Taylor

Brilliant explanation; after the first abortive attempt, I paired the two keys on the keyring in order to use them in conjunction.

Many Thanks

Reply to
Steptoe

All the keys contain a transponder i.e. both black and blue. The immobiliser only accepts keys that a) have such a transponder in them, and b) whose transponders have been 'paired' up with it.

The blue key (usually with an M embossed on it) is the 'Master' and is used to 'pair' new replacement (black) keys to the immobiliser. Thus, the blue key should be kept safe in case you ever need to purchase, and thus recode, replacement black keys.

The tag on the blue key uniquely identifies it and, strictly speaking, should be kept seperate from the key because without this you will not be able to get a replacement blue key from Hyundai. As per the above, without the blue key you can't pair up replacement black keys...

It's strange you say the black keys don't lock the doors (but they do unlock them).. are you sure?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Thanks for all the replies, Moray's & David's explanation of why the unchipped key failed to start & then started the car sounds perfect as, after the initial abortive try, I then put the two keys on the same ring to use them as a pair.

Matthew has confirmed what I suspected, I have up to now been in the dark ages with car keys and immobilisers, the blue key is now safely tucked away.

I thought it strange that the black keys only would unlock the doors, obviously I didn't want to put too much leverage on, it may simply be down to wear if they are the originals, as the car has done just over 100k, the seller apparently used the blue key all the time!!!

Reply to
Steptoe