Hyundai Tucson trailer wiring

I want to fit a towing hitch to my 2016 Tucson for towing a light trailer. I only need a single 7-pin socket (no plans to tow a caravan).

I am aware that I will need a by-pass relay which, in turn, needs a permanent live feed. Perceived wisdom seems to suggest that it's necessary to run a wire all the way to the battery at the front - routed either inside the cills (by removing a lot of trim) or - as some US you-tube videos seem to suggest - routed under the car and clipped to brake hoses etc.

Is anyone aware of any permanent live feeds of sufficient capacity which already exist at the back of the car? For example, there's a cigarette lighter-type socket in the boot. Could I tee off its wiring as long as I don't plug anything in to it on the rare occasions when I'm towing? Any other ideas?

TIA.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'd have thought that this socket would be an ideal source.

Reply to
newshound

newshound used his keyboard to write :

10amps rating from a ciggy lighter feed might be marginal, depending on how many lights are on the trailer, usually these things need a 20amp supply. If the 10amp is via a 10amp rated cable, volts drop also might also prove to be an issue.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If *everything* (2 x 6W tail, 2 x 21w stop, 2 x 21w hazard, 1 x 21w fog) were on at the same time, that would be 117 watts - which is getting close to 10 amps. But that would be an absolutely worst case and would be extremely unlikely to occur in practice. I accept that there's not much in hand if a subsequent owner decides to tow something else - with a lot more lights. Are there any legal reasons for doing it 'properly'? For example, could I have a problem with an MOT test when the car needs one in a couple of years?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Would fitting LED lamps on the trailer make it a non-criminal bodge (so long as the OP remembers not to borrow another trailer)?

Reply to
Robin

I don't know if it'd be lawful but I can't see a current (sic) MoT picking it up with a 7 pin socket unless the tester can see just where you've sourced the power:

Robin

Roger Mills submitted this idea :

If it works, then probably not, but for the sake of a bit of cable and a small amount of time, why not do it properly?

Most modern vehicles have a fuse link somewhere, set aside specially for a trailer 12v supply. You only need find it, and run a cable from there to the rear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, I'd prefer to. But one lot of instructions I've seen for installing a dedicated wiring kit seem to suggest that you need to remove a hell of a lot of trim in order to run the cable to the front. I'm not 100% confident that it can be done non-destructively.

Indeed. Can any of you with knowledge of this vehicle give me a clue as to where to look?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Worth checking the rating of the socket, I thought many of them would supply more than that.

Reply to
newshound

Every one I have ever seen is protected by a 10A fuse.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

So effectively, all you need is the lights?

I'd be surprised if the existing wiring couldn't cope with LED based units.

Problem might be, of course, warning of bulb failure due to the different load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It happens that Roger Mills formulated :

Likely there will be two fuse panels, one in the cabin, one in the engine compartment. Look in those (probably engine one), for a trailer/caravan symbol. That should be the correct fuse for the job.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, indeed. Mine is labelled 180 watts - which implies 15 amps.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks - I'll have a look. But, if that is the case, connecting to that would be no easier than connecting directly to the battery via an inline fuse. I was hoping for something nearer the back!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Problem is that my trailer - and the lighting board I use when carrying bikes - both have conventional tungsten bulbs. Are there LED equivalents which will plug into the same sockets?

Reply to
Roger Mills
[...]

Yep.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Not sure. Many replacements include a resistor or whatever to fool the bulb failure unit. Not exactly the best way of doing things. A decent LED should use about 1/10th of the current of the rather inefficient tungsten tail light bulbs, and I'd expect the wiring to not notice that.

The high current feed to a trailer socket is to run things inside a caravan.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many say CANbus compatible. Do they actually draw only the low current the LED needs - or increase it artificially to 'look' like a tungsten?

The aftermarket headlight LEDS I have on my old car have an external unit for bulb failure unit fooling - and that gets very hot. But it's before CANbus.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It happens that Roger Mills formulated :

Always best to do things the way the manufacturer intended. It might even be, that the manufacturer actually ran the feed wire to the rear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Roger Mills explained :

Yes, take a look on Ebay. For a trailer which maybe lacks Can-Bus monitoring, you should be able just use none Can-Bus LED's.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield