Identify part?

Can someone please help identify the part which seems to be broken on my

2006 Honda FR-V? I noticed it when I took my wheel off. It appears to be held on by 4 plastic studs.

Thanks, Ian

Reply to
Ian

That is the anti roll bar link, its ball cup has detached from the holder, it is replaced by removing the large nut that holds each end on, these can be problematic to undo.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

yes indeed & as Mr C says can be a sod to get the nuts off without the ball cup turning in the holder, either a pair of decent molegrips or i have resorted to the grinder to grind the nut off.

Reply to
reg

Is it safe to drive the car while awaiting the part being ordered? Any idea of cost?

Regards, Ian

reg wrote:

Reply to
Ian

It's most likely an MOT fail, but a broken ARB drop link isn't the end of the world - the car will just roll more in corners as the anti roll bar is effectively disconnected.

Last time I changed a drop link arm it was around a tenner, but that was a pattern part for a Citroen, so I'd guess at a genuine Honda item being around £40. Best way to remove them (or anything ball jointed) is with a rattle gun - takes a few seconds to get the old one off and the new one on. Anything else results in frustration.

Reply to
Doki

It is not advisable to drive it, just in case, that said many people do drive round with the link broken for quite a while before the mot or horrible noises force them to get it done. The anti roll bar is ineffective if one end is not connected, but the loose end may rub on things and could cause damage/a safety issue. You may be able to assess its safety and driven accordingly it may be safe enough for emergency use.

I would expect it to have to be a genuine honda bit and probably cost between 20 and 50 pounds. If you can undo the old one (you may as well try) it can be changed at home for very little, a garage would probably charge about thirty quid to fit depending on how long it actually takes. Before starting wire brush the threads (or cut them off, see below) and leave some oil on them for a few days before trying to undo them, narrow mole grips may hold the ball joint still, some have spanner flats on them, some have an allen key recess in the threaded bit, in desperation cut the nut off, it is always worth grinding off the rusty end before trying to undo it at all (assuming you have a grinder and it can fit in there)

Reply to
Mrcheerful