IF this is the problem how do i fix it?

77 GT Celica

Before firing it up for the first time in about 3 years i spoke to other owners in my car club they said it could have a v bad idle but ok at higher revs due to fuel evap over the years stood.

Anyway i didnt seem to have this, seemed fine, now sometimes the revs drop to 500 and often stalls and it misfires when accelarating, but not always.

Im chasing up a new rotar arm and dizzy top, with new leads and plugs incase its that, but if not and its the carb problem how and where abouts would the problem be? it has 2x double side draughts made by someone beggining with S me thinks.

thanks.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

They should be Mikuni carbs, a variant of Solex. If its not the electrical side(after replacing the parts you suggest) then email me at sales@ at either of the domains below, with your postal address, and I will send you the relevant pages out of an old Autodata book for these carbs.

Regards, Graham L

Graham

Unlikely. Fuel that's "gone off" would give poor running, evaporated fuel just wouldn't be there to burn! Heat makes fuel evaporate, usually whilst running in the summer. Unless someone corrects me I think water can condense into the fuel if left lying in the tank for a long time.

Best to use the old crud asap, mix in some good stuff and then see.

Failing that, poor running is probably due to previous maladjustment (of the carbs or timing etc) rather than the passage of time.

Reply to
DocDelete

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@thehomeofnospam.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's entirely possible that there's plenty of "varnish" which is about all that's left of the old fuel after all the volatile portions of it have evaporated off.

If possible, Julian, drain the tank, and put some new fuel in. If it's only been a couple of years, you may be OK, otherwise, you may (worst case) need to get the carbs cleaned and rebuilt.

Reply to
Adrian

There is probably some crud in one or more of the idle jets. It may settle down after a tank or two of fuel has gone through. Or clean the idle jets out and thoroughly soak them overnight in cellulose thinners to dissolve any varnish inside them.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

done that with other cars but never carbs like this

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

rebuilt would be a problem, im gonna change the fuel filter

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

carbs were set up great ( damn i use that quote every time, going back to 98 when i used it on C4 deals on wheels, anyone ever seee a guy drving a red 79 Celica with a iguana on his shoulder?)

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

yes Solex, thanks

be a couple of days before all the leads etc arrive so if still no good will be in touch. mucho gracias!

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

JULIAN HALES ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Why? (assuming you're meaning more than just £££)

These guys - among others - will be able to do it, no problem. Rough guesstimate? £100/carb - and it'll make a MASSIVE difference.

If it is gummed-up carbs, that won't make a blind bit of difference.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@achapman.freeisp.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Soddit, forgot the URL

Adrian

All carbs are much the same, if they resemble dcoe weber then the jets will be in the centre ish of each carb. I think I've got the book on these carbs somewhere, I'll look tomorrow.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

car has been fine since

thanks anyway, fingers x'd

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

fuel filter was rutine, had a bit of firt in carbs before years ago, when garage fortot to replace filter.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES