Inspect/Change belts

Hi all,

My '94 Golf 1.8 CL petrol has just passed 100,000 and having owned it for the last year, I thought I should get the belts checked.

I phoned my local VW dealer and they said replacement of the belt(s) would be 225 UKP!

I said I was surprised it was that much, and she said after some consideration she thought they could probably do it for 195 UKP.

I said I'd probably get in touch in the new year.

I know nothing, but isn't that a lot to ask - or on this engine is it a particuarly awkard task to do?

Thanks for any advice and happy Christmas. :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

While getting a new switch for our Espace at the local dealer, I noticed the price to change the cambelt on one. £430 as I recall. NOT including the associated service.

(The switch was £81!)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

it is a perfectly straightforward job with no special tools needed, book time is 1.3 hours, so a main dealer would be about 130 quid plus bits and vat. A visiting cambelt man would be about 50 quid plus bits. Average garage about 75 plus bits.

So, yes your quote is absolute top money. (reminder to self to increase prices next year)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Just out of interest, as an aftermarket fitter, what sort of warranty do you offer?

Reply to
Spark

I give a one year guarantee 'on the parts I fit' so I won't cover it if the water pump lets go and takes the belt 9 months down the road. However, I take the position that I replace any bits I suspect as being a problem. Touch wood, I have never had a belt I have changed break. Mind you , all my customers are regulars, I don't accept one off jobs, so hopefully I won't get stung for a big bill. I did once have a problem with an astra diesel, I replaced the belt using the existing marks (not mine) , they were very slightly out, the new belt put the timing a fraction more advanced and a valve or two bent when I road tested it. I covered all the costs and lent the owner a courtesy car

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I would like to ask mr cheerful's advice....

Further to my last postings on the £1000 Fiesta v Corsa thread started by Sunday Driver, I have put a deposit down on a '98 Hyundai accent with the

1.3 engine, ( for details, price & explanation please read thread!!) will pick it up after Christmas.

There is no history, last owner ran it for 40k miles with no cambelt change, I am worrying about the 80mile drive home but it won't go any further till its been done.

Is it a diy proposition, it looks very accessible, in the past I've done our faithful Volvo 740 (*thinks* it must nearly be time for another one)and an Astra MkII.

Reply to
Steptoe

belt change is due every 40k. Just drive it gently home and don't rev it too much, just in case. if the belt goes it will bend valves. It is a straightforward one to do, it has a spring loaded tensioner. No special tools needed, the only awkward bit is removing the engine mount. Book time is once again 1.3 hours. If you can do astra ok then you should not have any problems.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Where abouts are you in the country, out of interest?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Very many thanks for your advice, and best wishes for Christmas.

Reply to
Steptoe

In Essex, near Lakeside.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Aha - I thought I could smell that helpful Essex style! I was brought up in Upminster. We lived and breathed cars and dismantled engines. I'll never forget the time I went to help a mate who had done a cambelt change on his old Cortina. He didn't realise the cam and crank had to be aligned and had flattend three batteries trying to start the car, sprayed a lot of oil all over the inside of the bonnet (no cover on) and his face and set fire to the carb at least once :-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

OY!! are taking the p#@@ ?