Insurance.

Heard a spokesman on the radio this morning complaining that car insurance hasn't been profitable for 16 years. Hence the massive hikes in premiums. Perhaps if they'd have looked after decent existing customers instead of going all out for new business, they'd not have got themselves in such a state. I have no sympathy at all for them. If any increases kept roughly with inflation, few would object. But certainly will when they attempt a massive increase all at once. And then try an blame it on things like fraudulent claims. If they know them to be fraudulent, it's they who are to blame for paying them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think ambulance chasers have a lot to do with it as well. It can't take much encouragement for some to invent aches and pains. The bigger picture is, as real jobs disappear from the economy, these non-jobs increase but it all pretty short-term before it all comes crashing down.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap
[...]

My step-son had a no-fault accident a mile from home. He let his insurance company know whilst waiting for a lift home. On the way home, he had two calls from "independent" companies offering to act on his behalf. This was well within 30 minutes!

The trouble is, the insurance co's wriggle out of paying for as much of the claim as possible, so exaggerating any possible injuries becomes a tempting way of recovering your losses.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I suggest he changes to a reputable broker. That's never happened to me with Admiral.

Not when they realise you are prepared to go all the way to court. They soon back down and pay up. The other party started querying my replacement hire charges, but they soon backed down when threatened with court action.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q
[...]

Sounds like you've had a lot of accidents.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Looks like this may at least be restricted ! Article in DM

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Perhaps I could have chosen my words better.

Only one, my fault, but another claim when being driven by a family member, no fault. Never had any trouble with cold callers. It only happens with the less reputable brokers and repairers who rely in the income from selling on your details.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Sir Cloudesley-Shovell, perhaps?