Insurance due...

... and can anyone list any decent insurers worth calling. My car is now modified (200 to 250 bhp) so need to find companys to challenge my renewal from Adrian Flux...

Any help appreciated...

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

help appreciated...

What car? If hot hatch flux might be best (on price only!!) if "sensible" family saloon others may be better

Reply to
**-**

Astra Coupe Turbo

Reply to
Dave

try directline or priviledge

both very reasonable for me and if you have only chipped the car they do a premium increase based on % performance increase.

direct line was 10-26% increase (think it was 26), was an extra 10% on insurance premium. priv had very similar rules. there are others i tried that had similar rules but them two where the best for me

Chad

Reply to
Chad

Homer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.please spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

If you are over 25 try Frizzells/Liverpool Victoria

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Screentrade are very good I find Quartz

Reply to
Quartz

If that's all you've done - ie, the car looks totally unmodified, even to someone in the know, then I wouldn't bother declaring it.

Of course it's up to you though, and PLENTY of people here will disagree with me :)

Reply to
Nom

The shelf's in the Ka and sounds pretty good. Presuming you're the same Dave with an Astra coupe :P.

Reply to
Doki

Why pay insurance premiums when they have an excuse not to cover you if you do have a major fun moment?

Reply to
antispam

Because the chances of them discovering the different data in the EEPROM chip of his ECU, is approximately zero.

Obviously those chances are greatly increased if there is anything suggesting the car is non-standard, which is why I specifically said : "If that's all you've done - ie, the car looks totally unmodified, even to someone in the know".

This is my own personal view - you pays your money, you makes your choice :)

Reply to
Nom

It's very easy for them to check if the maps have been altered. All they need to do is plug in a diagnostic tool. For the few minutes this would take I'd imagine they'd do it on all serious claims to reduce the number they have to pay for.

Reply to
James Grabowski

Will try all the suggested companies, thanks guys...

Reply to
Dave

Aye, that's me. Glad it worked for you... Did you get it recovered?

Reply to
Dave

Its all very stealth from the outside (that's the way I like it!) but theres a much larger intercooler, different map, higher boost, rev limiter incresed to about 8k, different spark plugs, panel filter and pipework. I'm sure this would be enough to set alarm bells ringing. Besides, my renewal is up by only £200 over last year which also means that if anything happens i'm covered to get all the mods replaced. If it wad just a panel filter I don't think i'd bother but I don't think it is worth the risk in my opinion...

Still going to shop around though...

Thanks all...

Reply to
Dave

Got some stuff from a place I spotted on one of my random drives to nowhere, odd fluffy stuff, looks very similar to the original Ka shelf, except without the curveyness, if you see what I mean. Had to do a bit of hacking about to make it fit, they must have change the way the parcel shelf hangs on at some point.

Reply to
Doki

Nope - plenty of modern "chips" are invisible.

They don't. Not even nearly.

Have you ever seen a claims assesor go over a car ?

Reply to
Nom

Agreed.

If it's obviously modified, then it's loonacy not to declare it !

Have you specifically checked ? Usually, the mods are *NOT* covered - it's just a perfectly normal policy, that costs you more cash !

Reply to
Nom

Heh - i was there when he came to check mine :)

Assessor to mechanic - "Now then Andy, hows it goin? Is that the car over there? Right ok, job done, any chance of a coffee?"

:) He looked, from about 20 feet away, saw the dint, accepted the mechanics quote that he'd got a few days earlier and sat down for a coffee.

Reply to
Dan405

Indeed I have, got it in writing too!

"In the event of a claim underwriters will take into account all modifications carried out to the vehicle based on consultation between yourself and their engineer and will consider and receipts etc for work carried out and parts fitted to vehicle."

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave