1996 Dodge Dually Turbo Diesel has intermittent starting problems

I LOVE my truck. However, currently, I have a starting problem. It is not battery related as it has two brand new batteries and cables, just had oil and fuel filter change. When I attempt to start it, I have the clutch depressed and the key turned, every now and then, it won't start. You hear the sound that it makes when it starts, however, it just never actually starts. It is my understanding that the starter is working as it is the thing turning. It is frustrating. I can leave it parked for a week or so, go out and it starts first time. Drive around awhile and say stop for gas, and what happens, it won't start. It eventually does, after everyone at the gas station asks dumb questions like "did you let it run out of diesel?" I have never let that happen.

If someone has a methodical way I can rule out things and to be able to specifically guide a mechanic as to what to check, I would appreciate it. I wonder if it is the ignition itself or if it is in that clutch interlock system.

THANKS!

DB

Reply to
wileyestshepherd

Trace wire from fuel cut out solenoid, it may have rubbed through the insulation along the way, and is causing an intermittent short. Happened to me years ago.

Reply to
Joseph Myers

It's toast. Give me $50 and I can cover the towing to get rid of it for you ;-)

Reply to
GeekBoy

Hey Geekboy.. Give ne $25.99 and you can leave the group

Reply to
George Ewart