Is automatic dangerous?

Will electronic throttle control open the throttle in neutral?

Reply to
Peter Hill

Don't get me started SteveH. Is that your only answer? And I thought you were a technical car person? I am sadly dissapointed.

Starting up my car, the automatic AC always goes on full blast to minimise time for reaching target climate. That drowned out the smooth

200HP turbo engine. My first reflex action was to stamp on the brake, but it didn't do any good. Then I had the good sense of shifting out of R in about 1 nanosecond. I learned something and now take careful notice of the condition before engaging D/R. Knowing that you need to check something is very different from acting in auto-pilot mode.

johannes

Seems that this thread has run a life of it's own while I have been on holiday. LOL. But how ironic that you think I'm the Troll.

The phenomenon never happened on manual cars. Senile drivers also drive manuals, so your theory falls flat.

I see that you're a politician...hehe.

Reply to
johannes

Must be faulty, then. Mine can be switched off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes I can switch it off, but it remembers last setting.

Reply to
johannes

Quite so. And also use proper footwear, at least on the right foot. I would imagine that stiletto heels (for ladies) are not good for an automatic.

Reply to
johannes

It switches itself on again if you switched it off before stopping the engine? What sort of maker does nonsense like that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If engine management decides 4000 rpm, then what can you do with the accelerator?

But in manual you just depress the clutch; usually already depressed when you start. but no cluct pedaL in an automatic.

Reply to
johannes

On my Fiat Croma (~1986), the handbrake basically didn't work, no matter what. This was the first Fiat with disc brakes all round, hence poor handbrake engineering.

Reply to
johannes

The Rover was over a decade earlier, so poor Fiat, rather than handbrake, engineering.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With the inference that stiletto heels for men are good for an automatic? Or left-foot-only stilettos and something else on the right.

Reply to
polygonum

The only thing stilettos are good for is.

Best with a skirt that has a flirty hemline as the extra hip rotation enhances the flirty action. Ra-Ra skirt had 3 flirty hemlines.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Yes, poor handbrake engineering by Fiat at the time. It could be adjusted, but would only work a few days, and not very strong. I bought this car from new.

Reply to
johannes

& as all the wikipedia refernces point out, you almost certainly pressed the wrong pedal.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Only if you don't count Lancia Betas. & all the other Fiats with rear disc brakes. 130s where around a long time before Cromas.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The Fiat 125 (NOT the 125P) I bought second-hand in 1972 had discs all round, and I don't remember any handbrake problems. It was introduced in

1967. Unfortunately it also had a healthy population of Italian tin worm.
Ramsman

almost certainly?

Reply to
johannes

So, YOU put an auto running at 4000 rpm into drive and you think that auto gearboxes are dangerous? Clearly, for you, they are.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No - he put it into R! Guess that way he couldn't see what he was about to hit.

Had a very unfamiliar (to me) hire car for most of last week, I don't think I once managed to get the engine up to 4000. Certainly the only time(s) I might have done were when accelerating quite hard. At one point I thought about this thread and started to rev the engine whilst sat on the drive - couldn't get to 2000 without it being exceedingly obvious.

Reply to
polygonum

On some vehicles with pressure limiting valves deliberately engineered to remove any potential for rear wheel lock up due to very light axle loading, the cable actuated handbrake operating the hydraulic piston via a mechanical linkage can produce higher brake test figures than operating the footbrake.

Reply to
The Other Mike