Is it an MOT requirement to supply emission readings with the certificate?

Because I don't think this car passed its emissions.

Following on from the earlier thread "Local garage breaks our cat during an MOT. Why always us?" We've had a new cat fitted by them and its been given an MOT pass. We paid for the MOT, as seemed reasonable, and took the car back.

It was hissing. Hmmm, a leak. Took it back, mechanic agreed it was leaking, took off the cat, resealed it and gave it back. Its only 100 yards to our house from Frosts, so I didn't notice a problem.

Jan takes it out to go into town this morning and its still hissing. A bit of investigation by myself shows a rubber pipe seperated. OK, maybe he missed it in reassembly. Put it back on, and drive down the road and it pops off again.

The pipe (for those that care) is the one from the centre of the exhaust manifold to the 'exhaust gas pressure differential sensor'. It takes a small amount of exhaust gas to the pressure sensor as a part of the emissions system. A year and a half ago this pipe started popping off and it turned out to be the original, eight year old cat breaking down inside and blocking the exhaust, therefore increasing the pressure upwind of it. A new cat, (that Frosts broke just a year and a bit into its life), cured it.

So, If I now have a NEW cat, and the emissions pipe is blowing off, what have they done? Why is the pressure built up to blow off the pipe still? Can it have passed the emissions test as it is? Should we have an emissions certificate? What are the winning lottery numbers for fridays euromillions? All these questions and more...

VOSA might be interested.

Mike Barnard

I wonder how long the "what a wonderful garage they fixed their mistake" posts will last....

;-)

Reply to
adder1969

I told you I would not trust them to service a cow.....!

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

2 copies are produced one for the testing station & one for the customer, we always give the customer their copy but sometimes it is forgotten, but its a legal requirement for the testing station to keep the emission results for 3 months after that they get binned., so if they have *forgotten* to give you your copy ask for a photo copy of their copy !
Reply to
reg

2 copies are produced one for the testing station & one for the customer, we always give the customer their copy but sometimes it is forgotten, but it is a legal requirement for the testing station to keep the emission results for 3 months after that they get binned, so if they have *forgotten* to give you your copy ask for a photo copy of their copy !

Reg.

Reply to
kronenburgh

Its still a Mondeo, not a cow! :)

They don't seem to give a damn. Have already called VOSA but I am seeing the service manager tomorrow. Should be fun.

Mike Barnard

and if it failed on the emissions. you could be looking at a very big bill. and even if it did fail, the emisions could still be lower than a lot of other cars.

Reply to
bongo

Is it definitely a brand new cat? Perhaps they obtained a salvaged one and it's blocked.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

Mike Barnard ( snipped-for-privacy@thunderin.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's a difference?

Reply to
Adrian

A mondeo on your wheetabix doesn't taste particiularly nice. I've been there.

Reply to
David R

David R (david snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do you often put a _whole_ cow on your cereals in the morning, then? Or just selected byproducts thereof?

Reply to
Adrian

And/or perhaps if the exhaust system has reached the state where the cat has blocked in the past, theres baffle/silencer problems further back that are causing the same effect?

Reply to
Coyoteboy