Cats, MoTs and CE markings

I bought a new CAT from a motor Factors in Preston.

According to the paperwork its Type approved.

Took my Golf MKIV in for its MoT and to get the garage to replace the front pipe with the one I had bought.

They do the MoT first.

It passed with one Advisory:

2 very minor leaks on the exhaust. we are talking pinholes apparently.

How can that be when I always thought an entire exhaust system had to be leak free on account of fumes entering the cabin and noise pollution in order to pass the MoT

The MoT tester said that even if I had asked him to replace the front pipe with the one I supplied, he said that it would be illegal for him to do so because any Cat they fit on any car younger than 2001 has to have a Type approval mark physically stamped on the CAT which is the CE mark apparently. (my car is 2002)

We both had a look and we cannot see any CE marks on the cat body despite the invoice "claiming" its type approved.

However, it was mentioned to me that there was nothing to stop the car owner from swapping the front pipe themselves and representing for next Years MOT, the lack of CE marking on the CAT would not be a MoT fail.

All the MoT is interested in for the diesel is the smoke opacity test.

Quite a bit of a loophole if you ask me....

Reply to
Stephen H

If that is Preston in Lancashire? I can highly recommend this guy: - Dave. Howard Motors Unit 2 Aqueduct St Industrial Estate Aqueduct St Preston PR1 7JJ

01772 727552
Reply to
Mr Pounder