Is this windscreen faulty?

I have had this Peugeot 406 for several months but have only recently taken it out at night.

The first couple of times I thought that the screen needed cleaning but after giving it a thorough clean and inspection session I am mystified by the fact that I cannot improve its night driving qualities.

With normal driving there is no problem but when cars are approaching, or in well-lit areas, the glass picks up thousands of minute specks of light just as if it was covered in spray from another vehicle.

It is impossible to remove anything with glass cleaners or solvents and one cannot feel anything on the surface. If I look into the glass with the sun fully facing me it is possible to get the same effect. The 'spots' are extremely small, merely a 'pin-prick' in size but they do appear to be actually "in" the glass.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I feel confident that I can get it changed on my insurance, if it is faulty, but it would be reassuring to know that this sort of thing can happen before I drive the 30-odd miles to the windscreen depot.

Eric

Reply to
Cire

In message , Cire writes

Had a Fiat Uno with this, years ago, was a pain in the neck.

I'm not sure the insurance co. would replace it as faulty. Of course, if a stone chip just happened to fly up and crack the screen, by accident of course ;-) , then they would pay up... Not that I'm suggesting anything, of course! Mine cracked of it's own accord (yes, really!!!). Before driving to the depot, it would be wise to inform the insurance company first, just to make sure they will pick up the cost (Less any glass excess).

HTH,

Reply to
Kenny

"Cire" wrote in news:59685$453fd62f$53d9a533$ snipped-for-privacy@news.vispa.com:

I wouldn't even bother trying to find out what the problem is. Just get it changed. Use a brick if you have too.

Reply to
Tunku

I had the identical problem with an Astra I've just got rid of, nothing would shift it, Fairy liquid, solvents, paint thinners and even (as a desperate last measure) Tcut.

It hadn't been used for a while before I bought it, and the only thing I could think of was that it was caused through some kind of residue dripping off of trees that it had parked under for several months.

Reply to
Ivan

Not if this 'thing' is inside the glass!

Reply to
Lin Chung

My 406 is similar. It seems to be minute scratches. It is a high mileage car (just shy of 140,000) so chances are it actually *is* scratched, but it's sometimes difficult at night.

Far worse is the lack of rear windscreen wiper. Anyone know of an aftermarket one I could have a crack at fitting? This is a 1999 saloon.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

Common on highish mileage cars - especially if used on motorways. It's been grit blasted, in effect. Only cure is replacement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would one of those polishing kits from

have any effect?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

'is' and 'appears' can often be very difficult things with optics. The right shape of scratch can do wierd things.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I wouldn't bother with the insurance company - they'll say get it inspected by the glass company. lass companies make money so they'll be keen to replace it but if you're unsure then wait for it to become cracked.

Reply to
adder1969

Ah - remembered. Google for 'scratch hologram'

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I bought a car where the previous numpty owner never changed the wiper blades and there was a large annoying wiper mark right across the eye level of the entire drivers side. I didn't think it would be covered by insurance as it's self inflicted but I rang autoglass and they said no problem and for £50 xs came to my home to fit a new screen.

Reply to
redwood

Don't waste your money. For all practical purposes they are useless. It's not as if a new screen costs much - and you'll get a better deal if paying cash and shop around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You T-Cut a windscreen? God, you were desperate. :-)

Actually seeing as T-Cut claims to remove oxidation and a windscreen is just one big mass of silicon oxidation, why didn't the windscreen just disappear, hmmm? :-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

You could also have used Vim...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Toothpaste.

Reply to
SteveH

In message , Cire writes

This happened to my 170K miles Sierra. Insurance company paid up without questions 'cause Autoglass said it was dangerous in a low sun.

Reply to
Keith

I have a 306 and have often thought how cheap and nasty the glass is, not just the windscreen either. There is no tint and I get sun burn through it too ! If yours is the same grade then maybe you can replace it with somthing half decent ?

Reply to
mr p

Depends on the screen, if you ahve to pay rather than the insurance,=20 some are =A3500+

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

If you are talking about the windscreen, it is a legal. not quality issue. You can't legally tint a windscreen

Reply to
Elder